South Ridge Drive Upgrade Project
The City of Medicine Hat will be upgrading South Ridge Drive from Vista Drive to Gehring Road starting April 2012, and continuing into the summer of 2013. The plan is to have a majority of the work completed in 2012 with some landscape work and other clean up extending into the 2013 construction season.
South Ridge Drive Upgrade Project Highlights
- Widening to four lanes from Gehring Road to Strachan Road/Sierra Boulevard.
- Rebuild and realignment of South Ridge Drive south of Strachan Road/Sierra Boulevard to improve sight lines.
- Traffic signals at Sissons Crescent/Seven Persons Drive(south leg).
- Pedestrian activated traffic signal at Gehring Road.
- Installation of 3m multi use asphalt trail from South Boundary Road to Kipling Street.
- Full structure replacement.
- Upgrading of street lighting to LED.
- Storm system upgrade for improved capacity and retention.
South Ridge Drive Upgrades Summary
Schedule and Construction Staging
* Dates and staging plan are subject to change due to weather and other unforeseen circumstances. *
April 10th to June 15th, 2012 - Northbound lanes Gehring Road to Stevenson Street including improvements to the underground storm water facilities and storm pond
June 15th to July 19th, 2012 – Southbound lanes Gehring Road to Stevenson Street
July 21st to August 25th, 2012 – Southbound lanes Stevenson Street to Strachan Road/Sierra Boulevard
August 26th to October 5th, 2012 – Northbound lanes Stevenson Street to Strachan Road/Sierra Boulevard
September 4th to November 30th, 2012 – North and southbound lanes from Strachan Road/Sierra Boulevard to Vista Drive. Multi-use trail north of Trans-Canada Highway to Kipling Street.
Typical Construction Cross Section
Construction will begin along South Ridge Drive on Tuesday, April 10th, 2012, weather permitting. From that point on, no on street parking will be permitted. Motorists are encouraged to find alternate routes as delays are expected. For safety and convenience, motorists are reminded to obey all posted signs and detours, and watch for further updates as the project progresses.
The City of Medicine Hat would like to thank the traveling public for their patience as the City and its contractors work hard to complete this major upgrade project.
For further information, please contact:
City of Medicine Hat