City Council consists of a Mayor and eight Councillors, elected for a term of four years. The position of Mayor and Councillors are at-large elections, meaning that each person elected represents the City as a whole and not a particular ward or section of the City.
The Municipal Government Act sets out the powers of municipal governments. The Mayor is the Chief Elected Official of the municipality and has duties as both Councillor and Mayor. The Chief Administrative Officer of the City is in charge of day-to-day City operations and employees.
To be a "community of choice."
To deliver value through exceptional public service
We are committed to the following core values, which we believe enable us to achieve our vision:
- Innovation, creativity and diversity
- Openness, debate and participation
- Performance results
- Being proactive
- Balanced and responsible development
- A long-term perspective
- Well-being of residents and employees
- Principle of self-determination for our community
- Continuous learning and staff development