Welcome to the City of Medicine Hat’s Current Career Opportunities Page:
City of Medicine Hat employees have a passion for public service. They take pride in helping to make Medicine Hat a strong community, ‘a community of choice’ both now and in the future. Our employees build and maintain positive relationships based on trust, respect, honesty and integrity to ensure Medicine Hat residents have a safe and healthy community to live, work and play in.
Our City sets high standards for customer service and strives to continue to be a leader in municipal government. Whether it's delivering essential services, maintaining our infrastructure and facilities or running community programs, all work is valued.
The City of Medicine Hat offers many rewarding career opportunities in a number of different fields. Our organization offers a highly attractive total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefits, learning & development opportunities as well as a great work environment which provides excellent opportunities for professional growth.
If you would like to be part of a team with years of proven success, please view our current employment opportunities below. Thank you for your interest in working with the City of Medicine Hat.
If an Employment Opportunity makes reference to a Collective Agreement, they can be viewed here.
Please visit the Human Resources Department for more information.
19130A- Mechanical Engineer /Plant Maintenance
- Salary/Pay Rate:Non-Union
- Posted Date:07/11/2019
- Deadline to Apply:07/24/2019 4:30 PM
Now Hiring Temporary Mechanical Engineer /Plant Maintenance
(Up to 12 Months)
The City of Medicine Hat Electric Generation department has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Engineer to join their team and contribute to providing a reliable supply of power to customers within Medicine Hat and surrounding area. As a key member of the Electric Generation team, this position provides engineering support and design for plant maintenance activities, as well as project management and construction of equipment improvement projects.
As our ideal candidate, you possess strong interpersonal and communication skills, and excellent people management / team coordination skills. You have a solid understanding of financial and business processes, sound professional judgement, and strong Health Safety and Environment (HSE) knowledge. You will take an active role in the execution of the Pressure Equipment Integrity Management System (ABSA AB-512). You are competent in preparing basic design and/or engineering work scope documents and have the ability to understand and generate comprehensive written documentation in order to communicate effectively with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You will gain a thorough understanding of Electric Generation’s current operations in order to develop, maintain, and contribute to the implementation of the Asset Management Strategy and the Outage Management Plan. You have demonstrated ability to coordinate projects and will provide engineering support to Operations and Maintenance in planning and resolving technical issues, provide engineering support for Electric Generation capital projects and equipment improvement projects, and undertake design work, produce specifications, generate budgets and schedules. You will prepare and manage material take-off (MTO), Requests for Proposal, Requests for Quotation, Inspection & Test Plans (ITP), and Tender Bid Evaluations (TBE).
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering and registered with the APEGA.
- Five (5) years of directly related experience as a Professional Engineer in an Oil & Gas or thermo-electric generating facility.
- Training in the operating principles and practices of high pressure steam boilers, steam and combustion turbines, electrical generators, and their associated auxiliary equipment.
- Solid knowledge of Alberta Pressure Equipment Safety Regulations, ASME Code (BPVC, Pressure Piping Code)
- Strong knowledge of Process Safety Management principles including (Management of Change (MOC), Process Hazard Analysis (PHA), Mechanical Integrity, Pre-Startup Safety Reviews (PSSR), and Compliance Audits.
- A Project Management Professional (PMP) designation would be an asset.
- Possession of a Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record, and ability to obtain a City of Medicine Hat Driver’s License.
- An equivalent combination of management approved training and experience may be considered.
Our organization offers a highly attractive total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefits, learning & development opportunities as well as a great work environment which provides opportunities for professional growth.
The City of Medicine Hat strives to achieve its vision to be a “Community of Choice”; a place where people choose to live, work and play. The Medicine Hat advantage:
- Extensive Recreational Facilities
- Flourishing Cultural Community
- Low Utility Rates and Taxes
- Family Oriented Community
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume to Competition #19130A Human Resources Department, City of Medicine Hat, Suite 101, 505 First Street SE, Medicine Hat T1A 0A9; fax (403) 525-8870; e-mail email@example.com.
This posting will remain open until Friday, July 24, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.