2019 Community Spirit Awards Call For Nominations
Civic Recognition Awards Now Community Spirit Awards
Medicine Hat – Nominations are now being accepted for the 2019 Community Spirit Awards.
The awards, formerly known as the Civic Recognition Awards, honour individuals who have made an extraordinary contribution to the community and who by their dedication, activities and/or accomplishments have enhanced the quality of life in Medicine Hat for the last 40 years.
“These awards celebrate devoted and inspirational people who build community,” said Kris Samraj, City Councillor and Councillor Responsible for Civic Functions.
Residents can send their nomination forms recognizing individuals for the 2019 Community Spirit Awards in the following categories: Arts/Culture, Sports/Recreation, Compassion, Environment, Community Inclusion, Volunteerism and Civic Pride.
Nominations are also being accepted for the Awards of Excellence.
- Heart of Medicine Hat award: an individual, organization or business who, outside of their core business, has made a major contribution to enhance the quality of life in Medicine Hat in a variety of areas for at least the past 15 years.
- Change Maker award: an individual, organization or business who, outside of their core business, has made a major contribution to enhance the quality of life in Medicine Hat in the past five years through innovation, advocacy, or leadership through social, economic or urban development.
The Community Spirit Awards also include an ongoing Award of Achievement category, reserved to recognize individuals or teams in two categories, Arts/Culture and Sports/Recreation. Each recognizes an individual or team in an amateur or professional competition who has competed and placed first in a provincial championship or who has placed first, second or third in a national or international competition. These nominations will be accepted and awards will be given throughout the year.
Requirements for nominations include:
- A completed Community Spirit Awards nomination form
- A brief biography / resume of the nominee
- A letter of support from the nominator
- Any additional information that supports the application
- A high quality digital image of the nominee
- Nominees may be residents of Medicine Hat, Redcliff or Cypress County, however, the extraordinary contribution(s) must benefit residents of Medicine Hat
- The nominator must be a resident of Medicine Hat
- Nominees must agree to the nomination
“We admire and celebrate their efforts in making Medicine Hat a better place to work, live and raise a family. This is our opportunity to show them how valued they are,” Samraj said.
The 2019 Community Spirit Awards will be presented at a ceremony on October 3, 2019 at The Esplanade Arts & Heritage Centre.
This year marks the 40th Anniversary of the original Civic Recognition Awards. Since 1979, more than 130 Civic Awards have been handed out, recognizing dedicated community contributors and their enhancements of the quality of life in Medicine Hat. To celebrate the 30th Anniversary, past recipients will be acknowledged during the gala event in October.
To complete or download a nomination form or nomination procedure form, visit the webpage. The deadline to submit a nomination form is Friday, May 31, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. For more information, please call 403.529.8296.
- 30 –
For further information, please contact:
City of Medicine Hat