Every two years the City of Medicine Hat recognizes selected individuals who have made an extraordinary contribution to the community, and who by their dedication, activities and/or accomplishments have enhanced the quality of life in Medicine Hat.
More familiar to residents as the Civic Recognition Awards, the Community Spirit Awards were transformed in 2019 to recognize and celebrate the amazing individual, groups, teams, and businesses in our community.
Awards of Service
The Awards of Service will be given to an individual, organization, or business who, outside of their core business, has made a major contribution to enhance the quality of life in Medicine Hat including:
- Arts/Culture – developing or supporting cultural activities, including visual, or performing arts in a volunteer or professional capacity.
- Sports/Recreation – developing or supporting recreational, physical, or leisure activities or organized competition in volunteer or professional capacity.
- Compassion – demonstrating care and concern to promote the health and well-being of others.
- Environment – preserving, restoring or enhancing our natural environment.
- Community Inclusion – supporting others in their ability to participate fully, contribute to one’s community to the fullest extent possible, and to have value attached to one’s participation and contribution.
- Volunteerism – giving of one’s time, talent or knowledge for the betterment of others in the community.
- Civic Pride – promoting our distinctive quality of life to our citizens and the world.
Awards of Excellence
- Heart of Medicine Hat - an individual, organization or business who outside of their core business, has made a major contribution to enhance the quality of life in Medicine Hat in a variety of areas for at least the past 15 years.
- Change Maker – an individual, organization or business who, outside of their core business, has made a major contribution to enhance the quality of life in Medicine Hat in the past five years through innovation, advocacy, or leadership through social, economic or urban development.
Awards of Achievement
Along with new biennial award categories and nominations, the Community Spirit Awards now support an ongoing Award of Achievement category. These nominations remain open for applications and awards received throughout the year.
- Arts/Culture - an individual or team in an amateur or professional competition who has competed and placed first in a provincial championship or who has placed first, second or third in a national or international competition.
- Sports/Recreation - an individual or team in an amateur or professional competition who has competed and placed first in a provincial championship or who has placed first, second or third in a national or international competition.
To nominate an individual, group/team or business, the nominator must complete a nomination form, accompanied by a letter of support, brief biography or resume, and a recent digital image of the nominee.
Deadline for nominations is Friday, May 31, 2019 at 4:30 pm.
- Nomination Form (PDF)
- Nomination Procedures (PDF)
- News Release
- 2017 Recipients
- Past Recipients
- Community Spirit Awards Policy (PDF)
An Awards Selection Committee, made up of representatives from seven City of Medicine Hat advisory boards and committees, will recommend recipients to City Council from the nominations received. The successful recipients will be celebrated during a Gala Event at the Esplanade Arts & Heritage Centre on Thursday, October 3, 2019.
Gala Event and Award Presentation
Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
Esplanade Arts & Heritage Centre
The Awards are presented to the recipients at a Gala Awards Ceremony.
The public is welcome to attend.