Development Permits

A development permit considers the what and where of a potential project.

By consulting the Land Use Bylaw and other regulations, the City's Planning staff reviews proposed projects. They look at details like allowable land use in the area, impacts to nearby properties, setbacks and more. If approved, the applicant receives their Development Permit.

You must have a valid Development Permit before you can apply for a Building Permit to construct a building or structure. A development review is also required before obtaining a Business License, therefore it is automatically included in the Business License application.

How to Apply

Apply online

Apply online

New to ePermit?
See user guide

Need assistance?

  • We can help you with your online application. Contact us by email or phone 403-529-8374.
  • Or visit us in person (Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm):
    Planning & Development Services
    2nd floor, City Hall
    580 1st Street SE, Medicine Hat
  • Whether you apply online or in person, additional documents such as a site plan will be needed. Other requirements will vary by type of project, such as floor plans, elevation plans, ESA, etc. If you have questions about the specific documents needed for your application, we can provide guidance.
Payment Methods

Online or phone:

  • Visa or Mastercard


  • Debit
  • Cash
  • Cheque
  • Visa or Mastercard


  • Cheque

Fees and Charges

Application process

A Planning or Development Officer is assigned to each Development Permit and will be the file manager for the duration of the application. If the application is incomplete, the applicant will be contacted. The review cannot continue until all required documents have been submitted. 

Once determined to be complete, the application will be reviewed. This will include a Land Use Bylaw check to ensure the application meets all bylaw requirements. If there are any discrepancies, the applicant will be contacted.

Zoning and Land Use  List of fees


Commercial applications or complex residential applications are circulated to a variety of affected City departments for review. Departments are given 14 days to respond.

Technical review


Project construction may begin without the appeal period being completed, if:

  • Development Permit (DP) has been approved, and
  • Voluntary Waiver of Claims has been signed (included in DP application), and
  • required Safety Codes approvals (i.e. Building Permits) have been obtained.

If application is refused

If the application has been refused, the applicant has 21 days from the notification of the decision to appeal the refusal through the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB).

Public notification

All approved Development Permits are advertised weekly in the Medicine Hat News and appear in Development Notices. Interested parties may appeal the approval of discretionary uses or permitted uses within 21 days, through the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB).

Public notices

Development Permit Expiry 

After a development permit is approved by The City, the applicant has twelve months from the date the development permit was issued to commence development.  If significant construction has not begun by this date, a new application, including full application fees, will be required to move forward with the project. There may be conditions included in certain development permits which extend that period.

Apply to extend a permit

After a Development Permit is approved, the applicant must also obtain necessary building permit and trades permits before starting construction.

Pre and Post-construction Requirements

Before commencing construction of a subdivision or development project, it is the developer's responsibility to confirm that they have met the appropriate requirements and conditions. The document below outlines all requirements:

Development & Subdivision Agreement Condition Guide

Water and sanitary servicing processes

Pre-application process  Post-construction process


calendar close up
Extend a Development Permit

Apply online to extend the expiry date of an existing Development Permit for up to one year.

neighborhood plan sketch
Land Use Bylaw Amendment

If you wish to develop your site in a manner that is not allowed by the current zoning, you must apply to amend the Land Use Bylaw.

Unsafe derelict building
Report a property issue

Report a concern about a property in Medicine Hat. Submitted information is kept confidential.