Additions and Enclosures

A building permit will always be required for residential addition or enclosure projects. Depending on the specifics of your home and lot, and the size of your addition or enclosure, you may also require a development permit.

Examples of residential additions and enclosures

  • Deck/patio enclosure
  • Room addition (addition to an exterior wall)
  • Attached sunroom
  • Attached garage
  • Attached carport
  • Carport enclosure (conversion to garage)
  • Breezeway enclosure
  • Bay window addition

What permits do I need?

Development permit

A development permit is usually required when:

  • Enclosing a deck, patio, carport or breezeway
  • Adding a room to an existing exterior wall
  • Adding an attached garage or carport
  • Adding a story to any existing building
  • Enclosing a front porch
  • Adding a bay window
  • Doing other types of addition/enclosure projects

For more information about development permits, visit:

Development Permits

A development permit must be approved before applying for building and trade permits.

Building permit

Building permits are required for all addition or enclosure projects.

For more information about building permits, visit:

Building Permits

Trade permits

Trade permits may be required if the proposed project involves specific considerations:

  • Electrical Permit: for installing or modifying electrical systems, including moving lights or outlets.
  • Gas Permit: for installing, modifying or adding to any gas system.
  • Plumbing Permit: for installing or modifying plumbing systems or any plumbing equipment.
  • Mechanical Permit: for installing or modifying heating, ventilation or air conditioning (HVAC) systems.

For more information about trade permits, visit:

Trade Permits

Do it yourself

As a homeowner, you are able to get homeowner's permits for limited scope of work involving plumbing, electrical, gas and mechanical. To be eligible to apply for homeowner's permits:

  • You must be doing the work yourself
  • You must own and live in the home
  • You must be capable of performing the work in accordance with the Safety Codes Act
  • It must be a single family home (not a condo building or other multi-unit development)

Depending on the homeowner's permit you are applying for, other restrictions may apply. To learn more, visit:

Homeowner Trade Permits

How to Apply


To apply online, use one of the following options (do not apply with both):

Web form  OR  ePermit

Please review these user guides before applying with ePermit:

In Person

  1. Determine which application(s) you need. You can then download checklists and forms below to complete them, or come in person to Planning & Development Services and we will assist you.
  2. Have drawings ready, if required (eg: Site plan, elevation plan, floor plan, floor joist and roof truss drawings)
  3. Have utility locate slips: These show the location of underground and overhead utilities, such as gas and cable lines. See Line Locates below.
  4. Bring all these required documents and apply in person at Planning & Development Services.

Depending on your additions/enclosure project, below are forms you may need when applying in person:

Payment Methods

Online or phone:

  • Visa or Mastercard


  • Debit
  • Cash
  • Cheque
  • Visa or Mastercard


  • Cheque

Fees and Charges

How long will it take to approve permits?

  • Development permits: Timelines vary based on application type and the impact to the community.
  • Building permits: Typically less than 6 business days, provided that an approved development permit (if required) has been released.

Rules and Requirements

Size and location

Planning regulations (such as the Land Use Bylaw) lay out details such as:

  • The type of development which is allowed in various land use districts (zones)
  • The amount of area on a lot that buildings can cover (site coverage)
  • The required distances from property lines and other structures (setbacks)
  • How high a building can be in various land use districts (elevation)
  • The restriction of building structures over gas lines or other utilities (UROWs)

For specific information about your property and your planned addition or enclosure project, contact a Planning or Development Officer.

To learn more about the land use regulations for your property, visit Zoning.


The Alberta Building Code regulates the construction and safety of structures. Construction details of additions and enclosures are assessed and approved based on these provincial regulations.

There are a wide variety of types of residential addition and enclosure projects. For specific construction requirements related to your planned project, contact us.

Line Locates

When planning your project, it is important to know where utilities are located on your property. Locates are free of charge but require three days notice.

Depending on your specific addition/enclosure project, you may need to include line locates with your application. To obtain line locates, visit:

Line locates


Inspections are required for additions and enclosures projects. At the discretion of the Safety Codes Officer, most projects require rough-in and final inspections, depending on the complexity of the project.

Book online

To book an inspection online, use one of the following options (do not apply with both):

Web form  OR  ePermit

Please review this user guide before booking with ePermit.

Book by phone

Phone 403-529-8208 (automated inspection request line)

What if I am not the property owner?

If you are not the owner of the property, then you must get the owner's consent to apply for any changes.

Owner Consent