Decks Patios and Balconies

The information on this page will help guide you through developing a deck, patio or balcony on your residential property. It is important to first obtain the necessary permits, to avoid incurring extra cost to fix deficiencies.

Thumbnails of deck types

What permits do I need?

TypeDevelopment Permit requiredBuilding Permit requiredTrades permits required
Uncovered patio (A) no (B)
Uncovered deck (under 0.6m from grade) (A) no (B)
Uncovered deck (0.6m from grade or higher) (A) yes (B)
Covered deck (A) yes (B)
Enclosed deck (A) yes yes
Balcony (A) yes (B)
  • (A): Depends on desired variations from the Land Use Bylaw, or geotechnical considerations with the site. To find out if your proposed deck requires a development permit, or for more information, contact Planning & Development Services.
  • (B): Depends on desired electrical, plumbing or gas options.

A Development Permit is required when:

For more information about development permits, visit:

Development Permits

A development permit must be approved before applying for building and trade permits.

A Building Permit is required when:

  • The height of the proposed deck is 0.6 meters (24") or higher from grade, or
  • The proposed deck, patio or balcony will be covered or enclosed, or
  • The proposed structure is for commercial use, such as an outdoor restaurant space.

For more information about building permits, visit:

Building Permits

Trade permits

Trade permits may be required if the proposed project involves specific considerations:

  • Electrical permit: for installing or modifying electrical systems, including moving lights or outlets.
  • Gas permit: for installing, modifying or adding to any gas system.
  • Plumbing permit: for installing or modifying plumbing systems or any plumbing equipment.
  • Mechanical permit: for installing or modifying heating, ventilation or air conditioning (HVAC) systems.

For more information about trade permits, visit:

Trade permits

Do it yourself

As a homeowner, you are able to get homeowner's permits for limited scope of work involving plumbing, electrical, gas and mechanical. To be eligible to apply for homeowner's permits:

  • You must be doing the work yourself
  • You must own and live in the home
  • You must be capable of performing the work in accordance with the Safety Codes Act
  • It must be a single family home (not a condo building or other multi-unit development.)

Depending on the homeowner's permit you are applying for, other restrictions may apply. To learn more, visit: 

Homeowner Trade Permits

How to Apply


To apply online, use one of the following options. Do not apply with both:

Web form OR ePermit

Please review this user guide before applying with ePermit.

In Person

  1. Determine which application(s) you need. You can then download checklists and forms below and complete them, or come in person to Planning & Development Services at City Hall and we will assist you.
  2. Have drawings ready, if required (eg: site plan, elevation plan, floor plan, floor joist and roof truss drawings)
  3. Have utility locate slips: These show the location of underground and overhead utilities, such as gas and cable lines. See Line Locates below.
  4. Bring all above required documents and apply in person at Planning & Development Services.

Depending on the type of project, below are forms you may need:

See other forms in Planning & Development Services Library

Payment Methods

Online or phone:

  • Visa or Mastercard


  • Debit
  • Cash
  • Cheque
  • Visa or Mastercard


  • Cheque

Fees and Charges

How long will it take to approve permits?

  • Development permits: Timelines vary based on application type and the impact to the community.
  • Building permits: Typically less than 6 business days, provided that an approved development permit (if required) has been released.

Line Locates

When planning your project, it is important to know where utilities are located on your property. Locates are free of charge but require three days notice.

To obtain line locates, visit:

Line locates


If a building permit was required for your project, then you must book a City inspection. At the discretion of the Safety Codes Officer, most projects require rough-in and final inspections, depending on the complexity of the project.

Book online

To book an inspection online, use one of the following options. Do not apply with both:

Web form OR ePermit

Please review this user guide before booking an inspection with ePermit.

Enclosing an existing deck?

If you intend to build an enclosure over an existing deck, visit the page below:

Additions and Enclosures