Driveways and Sidewalks

The information on this page will help guide you through developing a driveway, parking pad or sidewalk on your residential property. It is important to first obtain the necessary permits, to avoid incurring extra cost to fix deficiencies.

What permits do I need?

A driveway permit is required when:

  1. You wish to increase the width of an existing driveway, or
  2. You wish to construct a driveway that is wider than 10 meters, or wider than 2/3 of your lot's front width (whichever is less), or
  3. You wish to construct a driveway in an older neighbourhood, or
  4. You wish to add a second driveway or parking pad (e.g., in rear), or
  5. Your planned driveway will have an impact on City infrastructure. Examples include:
  • Removal or alteration of a City curb and gutter, or
  • Construction across a City street boulevard, or
  • Impact to the preservation of a City tree, including the root system.

How to Apply


Apply online

Please review this ePermit user guide before applying online.

In Person

  1. Determine which application(s) you need. You can then download the application form below to complete it, or come in person to Planning & Development Services at City Hall and we will assist you.
  2. Have drawing of site plan ready.
  3. Have utility locate slips: These show the location of underground and overhead utilities, such as gas and cable lines. See Line Locates below.
  4. Bring required documents (USB drive preferred) and apply in person at Planning & Development Services.

Form you will need when applying in person:

Payment Methods

Online or phone:

  • Visa or Mastercard


  • Debit
  • Cash
  • Cheque
  • Visa or Mastercard


  • Cheque

Line Locates

When planning your project, it is important to know where utilities are located on your property. Locates are free of charge but require three days notice.

You must provide utility locate slips with your application. To apply, visit the page below:

Line locates


Your application will determine if your planned driveway project involves modifying City property, such as a curb cut. If approved, an agreement will be established between the you and the City, allowing you to work on City property. A City inspection will automatically be done to ensure that the work on City property is done correctly. No separate application for this inspection is required.

City inspectors do not generally inspect finished driveway or sidewalk construction work which is on private property.

Risks when permits are not obtained

By not obtaining permits for work done on your home, you are leaving yourself vulnerable to potential future legal and financial issues when selling your property or making an insurance claim. There could also be consequences if you do not correct the situation, such as:

  • Enforcement action issued by a Safety Codes Officer.
  • A fine for building without a permit.
  • Having to undo work that has been completed.
  • Future legal and financial issues when selling your property or making an insurance claim.
  • Having to do more work than was originally planned and budgeted, to fix deficiencies.
  • Potential liability to you, the homeowner, in the event of an accident.

As a homeowner, you are responsible for paying any penalties, even if you hired a contractor who assured you that permits were not required.

What if I am not the property owner?

If you are not the owner of the property, then you must get the owner's consent to apply for any changes.

Owner Consent