Homeowner Trade Permits

A homeowner's trade permit is authorization from The City to perform a limited scope of electrical, plumbing, gas or mechanical (HVAC) work.

If you are planning any building (framing, structural) with your residential project, a Building Permit will also be required.

If you are a licensed contractor looking for information on obtaining trade permits, visit the Contractor Zone.

How to Apply


Apply online

In Person

Complete the applicable forms and visit Planning & Development Services at City Hall. Or just drop by in person and we will assist you.


  • Homeowners Form
  • Electrical Permit Application


  • Homeowners Form
  • Plumbing Permit Application


  • Homeowners Form
  • Gas Permit Application


  • Homeowners Form
  • Mechanical Permit Application

Payment Methods

Online or phone:

  • Visa or Mastercard


  • Debit
  • Cash
  • Cheque
  • Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard)


  • Cheque

How long will it take to approve permits?

Homeowners permits for electrical, plumbing or mechanical work may be issued right at the counter. Homeowners permits for gasfitting will typically be processed within a few business days. You will be notified by phone or email.

Line Locates

When planning your project, it is important to know where utilities are located on your property. Locates are free of charge but require at least two days notice.

You must provide utility locate slips with a development application. To get them, contact:


If a Building Permit was required for your project, then you must book a City inspection. At the discretion of the Safety Codes Officer, most projects require rough-in and final inspections, depending on the complexity of the project.

When work has been concealed by drywall, you are required to uncover any work deemed necessary by a Safety Codes Officer to ensure compliance with the Safety Codes Act. A homeowner's permit cannot be issued for concealed electrical, plumbing, gas or mechanical work.

Book Online

Book Online

Please review this user guide before booking online:

Guide for ePermit Inspections

Book by Phone

Phone 403-529-8208 or fax the Inspection Request to 403-502-8036.

Risks when permits are not obtained

By not obtaining permits for work done on your home, you are leaving yourself vulnerable to potential future legal and financial issues when selling your property or making an insurance claim. There could also be consequences if you do not correct the situation, such as:

  • Enforcement action issued by a Safety Codes Officer.
  • A fine for building without a permit.
  • Having to undo work that has been completed.
  • Future legal and financial issues when selling your property or making an insurance claim.
  • Having to do more work than was originally planned and budgeted, to fix deficiencies.
  • Potential liability to you, the homeowner, in the event of an accident.

As a homeowner, you are responsible for paying any penalties, even if you hired a contractor who assured you that permits were not required.