New House Construction

This page outlines regulations and required permits necessary in the construction of a new house/duplex in a greenfield area within Medicine Hat.

If your project is on a mature site which has been previously developed, visit Residential infill.

What permits do I need?

Development Permit

A development permit is a required first step before building a new home, situating a manufactured home, demolishing some buildings, as well as most other types of development.

For more information, visit:

Development Permits

A Development Permit must be approved before applying for Building and Trade Permits.

Building Permit

A building permit is required before building a new home. The building permit plans are compared to the approved development permit plans, and it is your responsibility to ensure the plans match.

  • If a detached garage is also being built, a separate application must be submitted.
  • If a driveway is part of the house design, a City approvals may be required under certain circumstances.
  • If there is an existing property to be demolished or removed, a demolition permit must be obtained before a building permit application for new construction can be submitted.

For more information, visit:

Building Permits

Trade Permits

Trades permits are required for each applicable sub-trade (plumbing, gas, electrical, HVAC) in the construction of a new home. Each type of work will be inspected individually.

For more information, visit:

Trade permits

How to Apply


To apply online for greenfield development, click below:

Apply online

New to ePermit?
See user guide

Need assistance?

  • We can help you with our online application. Contact us by email or phone 403-529-8374.
  • Or visit us in person (Mon-Fri 8:30 am-4:30 pm):
    Planning & Development Services
    2nd floor, City Hall
    580 1st Street SE, Medicine Hat
  • Whether you apply online or in person, additional documents will be needed such as site plan, elevation plans, floor plans and utility line information. If you have questions about the specific documents needed for your application, we can provide guidance.

Payment Methods

Online or phone:

Visa or Mastercard


  • Debit
  • Cash
  • Cheque
  • Visa or Mastercard


  • Cheque

Fees and Charges

How long will it take to approve permits?

  • Development Permits: Timelines vary depending on the type of application and the impact to the community.
  • Building Permits: Typically less than six business days, provided that an approved development permit has been released.

Line Locates

It is important to find out where the utility lines are. Locates are free of charge but require three days notice.

Line locates

Contact Utility Safety Partners (formerly Alberta One-Call) to obtain:

  • Line locates tickets indicating City of Medicine Hat services (water, sewer, gas, electric), and 
  • Utility locate slips from other Utility Safety Partners

Shaw line locates are only available from Shaw Communications. While recommended, the City does not require line locates for telecom companies such as Telus, Shaw or Bell.


Construction work must be inspected. At the discretion of the Safety Codes Officer, most projects require rough-in and final inspections, depending on the complexity of the project.

Book online

To book an inspection online, use one of the following options (do not apply with both):

Web form  OR  ePermit

Please review this user guide before booking with ePermit.

Risks when permits are not obtained

By not obtaining permits for work done on your home, you are leaving yourself vulnerable to potential future legal and financial issues when selling your property or making an insurance claim. There could also be consequences if you do not correct the situation, such as:

  • Enforcement action issued by a Safety Codes Officer.
  • A fine for building without a permit.
  • Having to undo work that has been completed.
  • Future legal and financial issues when selling your property or making an insurance claim.
  • Having to do more work than was originally planned and budgeted, to fix deficiencies.
  • Potential liability to you, the homeowner, in the event of an accident.

As a homeowner, you are responsible for paying any penalties, even if you hired a contractor who assured you that permits were not required.

Can I build a seacan house?

If used as a dwelling unit or as a home addition, shipping containers (seacans) require engineering approval and the dwelling must meet all the same requirements of the Alberta Building Code and the Land Use Bylaw as a conventional building.

For more information, visit:

Seacan usage