March 19, 2018
City Council received for information from the Administrative Committee a tender award to Wahl Construction in the the amount of $554,600.00 for updates to the Police Point Park Interpretative Centre building.
City Council defeated a recommendation from the Public Services Committee to incorporate an Accessible Community Garden into the Seniors Centre Development Project; and a budget amendment of $95,000 to complete the work. The proposed funding for the project was to be $70,000 from the Natures Best Reserve and a $25,000 grant from the New Horizons Seniors Program By Social Development Canada.
City Council approved a recommendation from the Public Services Committee to Award the Special Events and Competition Assistance Grants as presented for a total of $3,500.
|Medicine Hat Ringette Association for hosting U14 Provincial Championships
|Kaeden Witkowski for attending Canadian National Long Track Speed Skating Championships
|Medicine Hat & District Adaptive Sport and Recreation for hosting Provincial Boccia Championships
City Council received for information from the Public Services Committee, the Social Development and Advisory Board (SDAB) Goals for 2018. Chair of SDAB Sheila Donner discussed each goal and indicated they were created with City of Medicine Hat vision, mission and strategic priorities in mind.
City Council received for information from the Administrative Committee regarding the City of Medicine Hat’s participation in Earth Hour 2018. HAT Smart will be leading the City in its participation to turn off the lights and non-essential electronic devices and equipment in City Hall on March 24 from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Additionally, LED lightbulbs will be handed out March 19 to 23, 2018 to the general public. The first 240 customers at the Customer Service Counter at City Hall will receive a free LED lightbulb, courtesy of HAT Smart as an awareness campaign to support Earth Hour efforts.
City Council received for information the Minutes from the Municipal Planning Commission meeting from February 28 including a presentation for Cannabis Legalization from the City’s Planning and Development Services Cannabis Project Lead.
City Council passed first reading of Bylaw #4447, a Bylaw of the City of Medicine Hat to amend Bylaw #3008 a Subdivision Authorities Bylaw. The Bylaw is amended to bring it in line with new Municipal Government and City of Medicine Hat standards and legislation.
City Council passed first reading of Bylaw #4475 to amend Bylaw No. 4168, the City of Medicine Hat Land Use Bylaw to designate PLAN 49455; BLOCK D; LOT 6 which is now Neighborhood Commercial (C-N) to Low Density Residential (R-LD).
City Council appointed:
- Rhys Jalbert to the City Centre Development Agency for a one-year term
- Lisa Riech to the Social Development Advisory Board for a one-year term
- Ally Wallace to the Youth Advisory Board for a two-year term
City Council approved a recommendation from the Administrative Committee to
- Approve Land & Business Support to enter into a Lease Agreement with a Data Processing Facility (Customer) for 10.94 acres of land in the SE ¼ Section 22-13-6-W4M, subject to the terms and conditions satisfactory to the Chief Administrative Officer and the City Solicitor.
- Authorize Land & Business Support to negotiate a separate option to Lease Agreement regarding an adjacent 10 acres to the west of the Leased Lands to allow for future expansion by the Customer, on terms and conditions satisfactory to the Chief Administrative Officer and the City Solicitor, subject to final approval by the Chief Administrative Officer.
- March 19, 2018 Council Highlights Document (PDF)
- Highlights Archive
- City Council Meeting Videos (YouTube)
- Council/Committee Meeting Agendas & Minutes
|Next City Council meeting to be held in City Hall Council Chambers
April 2, 2018 at 6:30 PM
City Council Meeting Highlights is an informal summary of the information presented to, and decisions made by, Medicine Hat City Council at its regular meetings. Click here to view official meeting minutes.