The primary responsibility of the Office of the City Clerk is to administer the processes through which information is delivered to Council, committees of Council and municipal quasi-judicial boards and tribunals. The recommendations and decisions made at those levels are documented as permanent records and proactively released as appropriate.
- Preparing, distributing and preserving agendas, minutes and decisions of Council and its committees, boards and tribunals.
- Ensuring the business of Council, Council committees, boards and tribunals is conducted in accordance with all applicable statutes, regulations and bylaws, and principles of natural justice.
- Maintaining permanent records and documents.
- Issuing permits for special events.
- Administrates quasi-judicial boards and tribunals.
- Returning Officer for municipal elections and conducts the municipal census;
- Head of Local Body in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPP);
- Clerk of the Assessment Review Board
- Secretary to the Subdivision Development Appeal Board
Cheques shall be made payable to "City of Medicine Hat".
- 2016: Federal Census
- 2015 (PDF): Adopted by Council on August 17, 2015. Official population count as of June 1, 2015 was 63,018
- 2012 (PDF): Adopted by Council on August 7, 2012. Official population count as of June 1, 2012 was 61,180
- 2009 (PDF): Official population count as of June 1, 2009 was 61,097
When a petition is being considered, for certainty, legal advice should be sought. The documents provided here have been prepared for the information and convenience of interested individuals. Please download these documents as points of reference, not as legal advice.
- Petition to Council - Municipal Affairs Information (PDF)
- Petition the Minister of Municipal Affairs (PDF)
- Local Improvements - Lane Paving (PDF)
Each year the City of Medicine Hat receives requests from individuals and groups to operate special events on City of Medicine Hat property, streets and roadways. The event permit application is intended to ensure consistency, convenience and safety of the organizers and participants.
- Guidelines & Application (PDF)
Official Records: 403.529.8221
Fax Line: 403.529.8324