Volunteers play a vital role in Community Development and are definitely the ‘heart’ of our organization. We value and recognize the talents, experience, wisdom and abilities that volunteers of all ages have to share. Our volunteers know that experience matters and volunteering provides opportunities to use valuable skills, to give back to their communities, to mentor others and to create and maintain relationships.
Some people volunteer with members of their family. When time is short and the demands are many, family volunteering offers a wonderful opportunity for family members to be together while contributing to their community or to a cause they hold dear.
Some volunteers do so to gain work experience and skills, or to practice language skills if English is a foreign language.
Youth have many reasons for volunteering: to discover their talents, to explore career options, to act on their social awareness, to gain self-confidence, to build a sense of independence or to complete high school curriculum requirements.
Volunteering With The Esplanade Arts & Heritage Centre
Volunteers at the Esplanade Arts & Heritage Centre play an essential part in our facility. Without our fabulous Volunteer’s we would not be able to provide such wonderful service to our patrons and the community.
Volunteering at the Esplanade provides a fun and very rewarding way to meet new people, make new friends and learn new skill. Volunteers can work as part of a team, with staff or alone depending on the shifts they choose.
Volunteer positions at the Esplanade include:
- Ushers for theatre shows
- Assisting in the Archives with research projects, cataloguing and data entry
- Assisting Museum staff with special projects as required
- Gallery Docents, assisting patrons viewing historic and contemporary exhibitions.
- Tour guides for exhibitions, leading tour groups or assisting staff with tour groups for adult and students of all ages.
- Assisting with classroom activities and art projects in the Discovery Centre
- Greeters, greeting visitors and giving information on current exhibitions/theatre shows
- Tour guides in the Historic Duggan House on Art Walk evenings & for School Tours
- Guiding City Hall Tours for schools & Friendship Force groups from around the world
Volunteering With The Veiner Centre
Volunteer roles are designed to provide an opportunity for individuals with various interests, needs, and skills. We have volunteers who are involved in one-time events as well as ongoing commitments. Volunteers can work on their own or with others, do hands-on work or volunteer at an administrative or leadership level.
The Senior Services Volunteer Coordinator oversees 10-plus volunteer programs. Volunteer Positions include:
- Meals on Wheels Drivers
- Receptionist and Greeter at the Veiner Centre
- Food Service Helpers
Other opportunities include becoming a Committee Member with the Senior Citizens Advisory Committee.
For More Information and to Get Involved
New and different opportunities are available often, so contact our Volunteer Coordinators to find out what current opportunities suit your needs and interests.
Esplanade Arts & Heritage Centre: 403.502.8584 or online at volunteermedicinehat.ca
Veiner Centre: 403.529.8307 or in person at the Veiner Centre, 225 Woodman Ave SE