Several City departments are working together to improve and replace infrastructure along 1st Street SW between Division Avenue S and Chinook Drive SW. Working together will help coordinate timing, costs and efficiencies along this traffic corridor. Work involves water and sanitary sewer upgrades and road rehabilitation (details below).
The current work is related to work performed in 2018 when the City’s Gas department completed work on the north side of the street, relocating infrastructure to make room for additional utility upgrades.
Please be aware of traffic accommodations and adjust your route accordingly.
September 19, 2019 Update
May 30, 2019 Update
Work crews are installing temporary water lines for residents prior to construction start on June 10. This work will require temporary road closures to ensure the safety of the workers.
Timing and Schedule
- Construction will continue throughout the entire 2019 season
- Work will be undertaken in phases to minimize inconvenience to residents and to those who use this traffic corridor
- Phases will proceed from Division Avenue SW along 1st Street SW towards 1st Avenue SW
- VIEW THE PROJECT MAP (PDF)
The work beginning on June 10 includes:
- Replacement of water and sanitary sewer mains
- Rehabilitation of the pavement surface within the road right-of-way
- Replacement of sections of curb and gutter, and of storm sewer catch basins and catch basin leads
- Improvements to sidewalks where necessary including enhanced wheelchair ramps
- Widening of the trail from 2nd Avenue SW to Chinook Drive SW
- Installation of conduits for future electrical upgrading
We thank everyone for your patience as this Infrastructure Renewal project is completed. Please drive safely in the work zone to keep workers safe.
For further information, please contact:
Environmental Utilities Department