Residential Recycling Has Started
Blue Recycling Carts have now been delivered. The City of Medicine hat, in partnership with Can Pak Environmental has delivered approximately 23,000 blue recycling carts to all single family and smaller multi-family residences (fourplexes or less) which currently have a grey household waste cart.
Please begin to use your blue recycling cart immediately.
Residential Recycling Collection Information at a Glance
- Recycling carts will be collected by Can Pak Environmental from the same set out location as your grey and yard waste carts.
- All blue carts will be collected from the same set out location as your grey cart and yard waste cart.
- Please ensure all carts are set out before 7 a.m. Collection occurs all day until it is completed
- Make sure there is 3 feet clearance between each cart.
- If your cart is not full, you do not have to set it out.
- Collection will be completed once a week, following the same zone calendar and map as with the grey and yard waste carts. Determine your collection day by referring to the Collection Schedule page under Waste and Recycling Collection Services on the website.
- Residential recycling collection uses the same type of cart and technology as the automated garbage and yard waste carts. Can Pak Environmental collectors will be emptying the carts with their automated collected trucks, and sorting the materials at the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF).
- Check this page for detailed waste collection information
Scroll down to find FAQs, useful links to other helpful information about Residential Recycling!
If you believe you should have received a blue recycling cart but did not, please call Environmental Utilities at 403.529.8176. You may begin using your cart immediately! Set out in the same location on the same collection day as your grey cart and yard waste cart. Ensure 3 feet clearance between carts and set out by 7 a.m. Remember to conserve space on the streets and lanes, if your cart is not full you do not have to set it out.
Residential Recycling Fee
The net increase to all three Solid Waste charges on your utility bill is $2.89 per month. Average monthly charges as of June 31, 2018 are $21.77 per month. Once residential Recycling is introduced, after July 1 2018, the rate will increase to $24.66 per month.
Monthly charge is determined by multiplying the daily charge by 365 then dividing by 12. The average customer bill overlaps two months; individual bills will vary.
Watch our Residential Recycling Video
Helpful Information About Residential Recycling
If you have a question about the Residential Recycling Program please refer to the Residential Recycling FAQs below. If you do not see an answer to your question, please contact Environmental Utilities at 403.529.8176
Delivery of Blue Recycling Carts
- Blue recycling carts were delivered to all Medicine Hat residential locations (single family dwellings up to fourplexes) who currently have a grey cart for household garbage.
- When the blue recycling carts were delivered, they were dropped off at the front of your home to ensure the cart serial number is registered to your address.
- Blue recycling carts were delivered with an information package attached. Please review the information package and read the information on this page, to find out more about using your cart and to learn about the materials that are accepted and how to prepare them for recycling.
Preparing materials to place into your blue recycling cart. No sorting required!
- Check out the Recycling Tips page, read the FAQs below and make sure to download the MyWaste App to search for answers about specific items
- Place your cardboard, mixed paper, newsprint, tin/aluminum and plastics numbered 1 - 7 into your blue recycling cart. Materials will be sorted at the Materials Recovery Facility.
- Please DO NOT place GLASS in blue recycling carts as glass poses a danger to workers on the sorting line.
- Refer to the Recyclables Preparation What Goes Where Guide to help you determine acceptable and unacceptable materials for the blue recycling cart, and determine where to bring other items, such as to a bulk recycling depot or to the City's Waste Management Facility
FAQs, useful links and handy tips
- Residential Recycling, Yard Waste & Household Waste Collection Guide (PDF)
- Recyclables Preparation - "What Goes Where" (PDF)
- Residential Recycling FAQs (PDF)
- Recycling Tips - quick, handy tips to help prepare your recyclable materials
- MyWaste What Goes Where - Search box and Web App
- Bulk Recycling Drop-off Depots
- Can Pak Environmental
News Release Updates
- 6-June-18 - Residential Blue Recycling Cart Delivery is Now Complete (PDF)
- 23-May-18 - Monthly Residential Recycling Fee To Be Implemented (PDF)
- 08-May-18 - Residential Recycling Has Started (PDF)
- 04-Apr-18 - Residential Recycling Information Sessions (PDF)
- 21-Feb-18 - Curbside Recycling Program Preparations Underway (PDF)