City Assessment prepares annual market value assessments as the basis for municipal and education taxes, as well as other requisitions such as the Cypress View Foundation. The goal of Assessment is to maintain a defensible, fair and equitable assessment base that provides the basis for the equitable distribution of municipal taxation that complies with the Municipal Government Act and Alberta Regulations.
2019 Assessment Notices
- Notice of Assessment - March 6, 2019
- Notices will be mailed February 26, 2019
- Final complaint date - May 7, 2019
- Tax notices mailed mid-May
- Taxes due - June 30, 2019
2019 Supplementary Assessment Notices
- Supplementary Notice of Assessment - October 30, 2019
- Supplementary Notices will be mailed October 22, 2019
- Final complaint date - January 2, 2020
- Taxes due - November 30, 2019
2019 Request for Information (RFI)
- Non-Residential forms to be mailed tentatively in early May.
- Completed forms will be due tentatively in early July.
- 2018 Forms & Tutorial Videos
The assessment of all properties, located within the City of Medicine Hat, are calculated on the basis of market value. The assessment is used only to distribute the total tax levy amongst all properties according to their relative values.
(Assessed Value x Tax Rate = Property Tax)
Property values change and over time the values may shift from one type or quality of property to another. To be fair and equitable and to comply with Provincial Legislation, all properties must be reassessed annually. As a property owner, you are entitled to compare your assessment, make an inquiry, and even appeal your assessment.
Request for Information
If an assessed person asks to see or receive information on how the assessor prepared the assessment on that persons' own property, you will fill out the Section 299 Request Form (this request is free of charge)
NEW: The municipality is not required to respond to a request for information under section 299 when a complaint has been filed until the complaint has been heard and decided by the assessment review board. MGA 299(3)
If an assessed person asks to see or receive a summary of the assessment of any other assessed property, other than their own, you will fill out the Section 300 Request Form (this request has a $40.00 fee for each property requested)
- Non-Residential Property
- Multi-Family Property (3 residential units or more)
- Your Assessment Information
- Guide to Property Assessment and Taxation in Alberta (PDF)
For further information and inquiries regarding your assessment, please contact our office:
City of Medicine Hat Assessment
580 First Street SE
Medicine Hat, AB T1A 8E6