- Grade 12 Diploma or equivalency
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1001 Level 1 and 2 certificates with IFSAC or ProBoard seal
- NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations certificates with IFSAC or ProBoard seal
- Current Standard First Aid with CPR Level C/AED as a minimum
- A valid Alberta Class 3 License with air brake endorsement or equivalent with a satisfactory driver’s abstract with less than six (6) demerits
- Current police information check with vulnerable sector required upon conditional job offer
|Step 1||A grading of the applicant's resume to determine relevant skills, qualifications and experience.
|Step 2||Subsequent invitation to attend recruitment.
|Step 3||Written occupational aptitude test pass mark to be determined by adjudicator.
|Step 4||Successfully demonstrating physical dexterity, stamina and strength relevant to the physical demands of the fire fight occupation.
|Step 5||Satisfactory performance in a technical interview conducted by fire suppression and fire prevention officers.
|Step 6||Satisfactory performance in a behavioral interview process that addresses individual character attributes and suitability to perform as a team member.
|Step 7||Station assessment where the candidates will be assessed by the on-duty crews.
The recruitment process evaluates and grades applicants on a pro-rated scoring system which involves awarding weighted performance grades for each segment of the recruitment process.
The City of Medicine Hat Human Resources Department advertises for applicants through this website's Career Opportunities and various social media venues/websites. Instructions for applicants and application deadlines are stipulated through the various media channels.