The Medicine Hat Regional Airport is owned and operated by the City of Medicine Hat. The Airport initially opened in 1912 as a dirt strip, until 1941 when the Department of National Defence assumed the operations as a British Commonwealth Air Training Base.
In the early 1960s, the primary runway was relocated, strengthened, and lengthened. A larger combined Air Terminal Building/Flight Service Station was built in 1980. Over the years, the Airport has completed various electrical, pavement surface, infrastructure and terminal improvements primarily with funding from the Federal Airports Capital Assistance Program.
The Airport Area Structure Plan is a policy guidance document bylaw adopted by City Council on July 5, 2011, to provide a framework for future developments in the vicinity of the airport while recognizing synergies between land uses and the Medicine Hat Regional Airport.
For the full PDF version, click here.