On Tuesday June 11, 2019, changes to traffic signal light operations will be implemented along 13 Avenue SE from Trans Canada Way to the Trans Canada Highway South ramp intersection.
Traffic challenges and City review
The high volume of traffic along this section of 13th Avenue SE presents a challenge, as it is one of the busiest in the City, with approximately 20,000 vehicles per day travelling through the corridor. Another challenging feature of this section is the three closely spaced intersections, each with traffic signal lights and with competing traffic movements. The City has reviewed the operation of the current traffic signals to determine a solution and to address queuing and delays at these intersections.
Changes to signal timing
As part of the solution, changes will be made to the signal timing at the three intersections.
- The signal changes will initially be in effect during the evening traffic peak time only
- The City will closely monitor the traffic flow
- Once the City has an opportunity to review the results, it is expected that the signal changes will be extended to other peak hours
Removal of two pedestrian crosswalks at 13th Ave SE and Trans Canada Way
- In addition to changes to signal timing, the south and east side crosswalks of the 13th Avenue and Trans Canada Way intersection will be removed.
- Pedestrians can still use the north and west side crosswalks
Motorists and pedestrians are advised to pay attention to signs posted in this area advising of the changes, and to please drive carefully.
For more information: