A Dangerous Goods Route is an assigned route within the city of Medicine Hat that vehicles hauling dangerous goods are required to follow.
What is a Restricted Dangerous Goods Route?
A Restricted Dangerous Goods Route is an assigned route within Medicine Hat that vehicles hauling dangerous goods are required to follow. The use of these routes are restricted to all of the following:
- The transport must occur between the hours of 22:00 - 07:00.
- The total number of axles on the vehicle inclusive of its trailer does not exceed six.
- Transporting only dangerous goods listed in Schedule “B”.
- Transporting to a location that lawfully sells the dangerous goods.
Deviating from a Dangerous Goods Route
Persons shall not be deemed to be operating a motor vehicle in contravention of Bylaw 2759 if the location in which they are hauling to lawfully sells dangerous goods listed in Schedule “B”, irrespective of the distance of that location from the Dangerous Goods Route, provided that:
- The vehicle is not transporting any dangerous goods other than those listed in Schedule “B”.
- The stop is made for the sole purpose of unloading the dangerous goods and the vehicle is moved from the location promptly after the unloading has occurred.
- No portion of the vehicle overhangs any highway or other public place.
- The vehicle is a Small Payload Vehicle not exceeding 24,300 kilograms and less than 11 meters in length.
- Travel via the route which results in the shortest possible distance.
What are Schedule "B" Goods?
Schedule "B" goods include:
- Liquified Petroleum Gas
- Fuel Oil
- Petroleum Crude Oil
Applying for a Permit
The Fire Chief may issue a permit to authorize a person to transport Dangerous Goods in the city other than on a Dangerous Goods Route. A permit can be acquired from the Fire Chief at the City’s Fire Department between the hours of 08:00 - 17:00, Monday to Friday, or by telephoning the Fire Department at 403.529.8282.
To read the Dangerous Goods Route Brochure, click the link below:
This brochure is for information purposes only. If there are any discrepancies between this pamphlet and Bylaw 2759, the bylaw will supersede. For additional information, contact the City Clerk Department at 403.529.8221.