What is a Heavy Truck?
A Heavy Truck means a motor vehicle with a gross weight of 6,500 Kilograms or more, or exceeding eleven (11) metres in length.
What is a Heavy Truck Route?
A Heavy Truck Route is the assigned route within Medicine Hat that heavy trucks are required to follow.
- Heavy Truck Route Map (PDF)
What is a Restricted Heavy Truck Route?
A Restricted Heavy Truck Route is the assigned route within Medicine Hat that heavy trucks are required to follow. The use of these routes is restricted to the hours of 07:00 - 23:00.
Deviating from a Heavy Truck Route
The following persons shall not be deemed to be operating a motor vehicle in contravention of Section (93) of Bylaw 4346, if the heavy truck was being operated on the most direct route between the following premises or locations and the nearest heavy truck route or restricted heavy truck route:
- A person delivering or collecting goods or merchandise to or from the premises of a bona fide customer.
- A person going to or from a storage depot for the heavy truck in respect to which a development permit has been issued.
- A person moving a building from one location to another, for which all necessary permits have been issued by the City.
- A person going to or from premises for the servicing or repairing of the heavy truck.
- A person pulling a disabled motor vehicle from a roadway other than a heavy truck route or a restricted heavy truck route.
Use of Engine Retarder Brakes
No person shall operate an engine brake within the City limits in accordance with section (96) of Bylaw 4346.
Parking of Heavy Trucks
No person shall park a heavy truck on a highway unless:
- The person is actively engaged in loading or unloading goods or merchandise at the premises of a bona fide customer and the heavy truck is moved from the location promptly after loading or unloading has occurred or
- Such parking is permitted by a traffic control device.
Over Dimensional Loads:
An over dimensional load is any vehicle that is greater than:
- A width of 2.60 metres
- A height of 4.15 metres
- A length of 23 metres
Over dimensional loads require a permit through TRAVIS-MJ. The City uses Roadata to issue permits: www.roadata.com
Height & Weight Restrictions:
Restrictions for bridge height and weight can be found here:
For questions about the Heavy Truck Route, contact:
- Municipal Works Department at 403-529-8177
For information on enforcement, contact:
- Medicine Hat Police Service at 403-529-8471 or
- Medicine Hat Bylaw at 403-529-8481
If there are any discrepancies between the information on the page and the Public Roads Bylaw 4346, the Public Roads Bylaw supersedes.