Rebuilds in the Flood Fringe

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

<< Back

There are guidelines for flood proofing which were adopted by the Municipal Planning Commission and adopted by Council on December 18th, 1995.

The Land Use Bylaw states that: The Commission or the Development Officer shall require that a building in the flood fringe be flood proofed as a condition of issuing a development permit for the building.

The five approved flood proofing methods are:

  1. Use fill to raise the elevation of the building above possible flood level. (Structural engineer involvement would be required)
  2. Raise the building on posts, piles or piers. (Structural engineer involvement would be required).
  3. Build a water tight basement. (Structural engineer involvement would be required).
  4. Build a berm or floodwall, the top of which is above the design flood level, around the building or buildings. (Structural engineer involvement would be required).
  5. Allow the foundation and basement to be flooded (wet flood proofing which equalizes water pressure on the foundation walls). Should this method be used the basement could not be developed. The mechanical (hot water heater, furnace and electrical panel) would have to be located on the main floor. The main floor level would have to be above the design flood level.

Each method has advantages and disadvantages in terms of effectiveness, cost and aesthetics.

As noted options one through four would require structural engineer involvement. Should option five be used, the design would have to satisfy CMHC requirements and those dictated by Municipal Affairs. Each application would be reviewed by a Building Safety Codes Officer for compliance.

Phone:  403.529.8374 (Planning, Building & Development Services)