The City of Medicine Hat Roadway System Master Plan (RSMP) is the document used to help guide the City to manage traffic operations effectively. The 2013 RSMP identifies the City's future road network requirements based on growth projections as outlined in the 2012 Municipal Development Plan.
Through an extensive engagement process, various stakeholders and the general public were given the opportunity to provide valuable input into the development of the RSMP. Also included in the process was a detailed review of the proposed Alberta Transportation improvements to the Trans-Canada Highway and Highway 3. This identified potential upgrades to City infrastructure that could be implemented in coordination with the province.
Options for a future south west connector were also presented with an intent to identify a preferred alignment at a future date.
The strategic direction as outlined in the following documents was adopted by City Council on May 6, 2013:
- Roadway System Master Plan, April 2013
- Assessment of Alberta Transportation Highway 1 and 3 Proposed Improvements, April 2013
The following documents were accepted as information by City Council on May 6, 2013:
The next steps for the RSMP include:
- Incorporation into future business/capital plans
- Negotiate with Alberta Transportation on proposed improvements to Highways 1 and 3
- Prepare a report and recommendation on a southwest connector