Parks and Outdoor Space Usage During COVID-19
Overall, our community has shown tremendous respect and cooperation during the COVID-19 event. Continuing to support this effort will ensure restrictions are lifted as soon as possible. Residents are encouraged to stay the course.
We understand there are questions about what is and is not permitted during COVID-19. While it is not reasonable for the City to provide instructions on all possible situations, this page outlines specifics around closures, as well as guidelines for continuing to enjoy outdoor activities while still preventing the spread of COVID-19.
Parks and trails are still open, including benches, picnic tables, sports fields, all courts, outdoor rinks, disc golf, beach volleyball, fire pits, FLC playfields, Optimist Ball Diamond, South Ridge Community Park playfields, lions park ball diamonds, and Historic farm at Echo Dale Regional Park. Outdoor activity that adheres to current guidelines is encouraged to support positive physical and mental health.
While enjoying outdoor spaces, all residents must follow the guidelines provided by Alberta Health. Where clear direction is not specified, the City is relying on residents to use discretion to make responsible choices.
The following suggestions offer guidance for responsible decision making.
- Avoid contact with frequently touched surfaces or disinfect/clean surfaces before use
- Participate with members of your household only
- Avoid sharing sporting equipment
Inquiries/complaints related to individual behaviors can be reported to the MHPS non-emergency line at 403-529-8481, or through the MHPS mobile app, via Crime Tips.
Responsible Pet Ownership
The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a noticeable increase in traffic on the City’s trail network. During this time, pet owners are encouraged to keep dogs on-leash to support safe and courteous encounters. Residents who choose to take dogs off-leash on permitted trails are reminded to ensure dogs are, at all times, under the control of an owner who is at least 18 years of age.
Responsible Animal Ownership Bylaw (PDF)
- Saratoga Dog Park is open, and visitors are expected to adhere to Alberta Health guidelines.
- WestVue Dog Park (expected opening in June)
The following City spaces are currently CLOSED
- Playground Structures (expected opening May 29)
- Outdoor Fitness Structures (expected opening May 29)
- Skateparks/Skatespots (expected opening May 29)
- Spray Parks
- Outdoor Washrooms
- Interpretative Program & Nature Centre at Police Point Park ( the facility is closed, but online programs are available through social media)
The following sports fields are closed to public due to “Permit Issued Facility Use Only”:
- Methanex Bowl
- Jeffries Park
- Athletic Park
- Lorne Holden
- Lovell MacDonnell Field
- Kin Coulee Little League Diamond
Please note current information relating to permits
- Events, leagues, or rental permits are cancelled until August 31
- Mobile Concession Permits in Parks (food trucks) are available
- Park Access Permits are available
- Mobile Business Permits (all non-food business in a park) are not being issued at this time
Non-City Clubs & Park Agreements
Please contact the following clubs for further information and measures, as they are restricted to members only:
- Horseshoe Club
- BMX Club
- Tennis Club
- Lawn Bowling Club