- Burial Listings
- Cemetery Fees (PDF)
- Cemetery Map (PDF)
- Cremation, Monuments & Regulations
- Memorial Bench Program
- Memorial Arboretum
125+ Years of Service in Medicine Hat
The Hillside Cemetery is located on Highway 3 and 10 Avenue SW, two blocks west of the Trans Canada Highway. Over 1600 trees of varying species make the cemetery appear to be a well-arranged forest from both the air and roadway.
The site that Hillside Cemetery occupies has been in existence since 1886 and has been a municipal operation since 1909. It comprises 80 acres of sloping and level land of which 57 acres are in active use. There are currently over 28,000 burials.
A Peaceful, Quiet Sanctuary
The cemetery’s mission is "to provide a peaceful, quiet sanctuary to commemorate the history of the community through devotion, pride, and remembrance, served by professional, dedicated personnel."
- Traditional Interments: Earth space for the interment of a casket at either the six feet (standard) or nine foot depth (double depth).
- At Need or Pre-need Plot Selection and Sales: Staff on-site to ensure your peace of mind in selecting the plot or services that you desire.
- Choices of Grave Liners: Provision of the minimum standard mandatory grave liner at a reasonable fee or allowing for other grave liner choices.
- Monument Foundations: Upright and flat monument concrete bases installed at the gravesite; also available for purchase and use elsewhere.
- Individual Flower Bed Preparation: Uniform and consistent flower beds in front of headstones prepared by staff with soil amendments and edging.
- Computerized Cemetery Records: Information regarding location of gravesites as well as data for use by families, genealogical researchers, and death care industry personnel.
- Tents for Inclement Weather: All weather tents for protecting the gravesite during the committal service.
- Perpetual Care: Grounds maintenance including: mowing, fertilizing, herbicide application, sod, seeding, flowerbeds, tree and shrub maintenance, irrigation, leaf cleanup, and road maintenance.
- Memorial Bench Program: A standard, high quality, bench is available to place near the gravesite of your loved one if the area is suitable to receive one.
- Memorial Tree Program: The placement of a suitable tree in memory of your loved one is available. This is subject to available space and need. Placing of a marker is subject to approval.
- Anglican section
- Catholic section
- Children’s section
- Family plot area
- Field of honour
- In-ground cremains
- Infant section
- Jewish section
- Muslim section
- Scattering Garden
Hillside Cemetery Advantages
- Peace of mind in perpetual care
- All cultures and religions served
- "No hassle" refund policy
- Economical pricing - non-profit
- Non-commisioned sales
- Many resources available through Parks and Recreation and Municipal Works
- Conveniently located
- Professionally trained staff
- No perpetual care fees on monument
1280 10 Ave SW
Medicine Hat, AB T1A 1J1
Cemetery Gate Hours Oct to Apr: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Cemetery Gate Hours May to Sept: 7:30 AM - 10:00 PM
Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Monday to Friday (closed weekends/holidays)