Due to current improvements being made to the City’s website, users may experience brief service interruptions, periods of limited functionality, and incorrect results within the search function until the engine fully updates. Some users may need to clear their cache to access new content. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Business License Services

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Why is a business license needed?

Bylaw 2339 states that any business (an activity or enterprise conducted for gain, benefit, advantage, or livelihood) within the city limits of Medicine Hat must have a valid Business License, renewed each year by the anniversary date of the original application.

Commercial/Industrial Business

Downtown business

If you operate more than one store, branch, or premises, each location must have a separate business license. Before you commit to a location for your business, check with The City of Medicine Hat Planning Department to determine if your type of business activity is permitted in a specific location. A copy of any certificates or letters of approval issued by Federal or Provincial authorities may be required. 

Downtown Commercial Business

If you are a business owner and your business is located within the downtown City Centre Development Area, you will be subject to a Business Revitalization Zone assessment and tax.  For more information, please visit:

City Centre Development Agency (CCDA)

Home Occupations

Home Based BusinessWhile home occupations use a dwelling unit or an accessory building for a business, the primary use of the dwelling unit or accessory building must be for residential purposes. A Development permit and Business License are required for operation of a home occupation. The Development Permit expires if you move or intensify your business activities.  The Business License is due annually on the anniversary date of the original application. A copy of any certificates or letters of approval issued by Federal or Provincial authorities may be required.

Total payment of the Home Occupation License may consist of:
Development Permit (Major or Minor), plus Business License (Home Occupation Classification + addition classification(s) fee.) Fee Schedule.

Home Occupations shall not include the following:

  • Adult Establishments
  • Animal Kennels or Breeding
  • Auto body repairs and painting
  • Automotive repairs or sales
  • Cabinet making 
  • Industrial uses
  • Retail uses 
  • Sheet metal work
  • Welding work
  • Upholstery work
  • Vehicle or equipment storage or cleaning

Non-resident business licenses

A person or business that does not have a permanent base of operations in either a home or commercial location within Medicine Hat but are working in the city must pay a Non-Resident License Fee.  A copy of any certificates or letters of approval issued by Federal or Provincial authorities may be required.

Canvassers/Peddlers/Transient Traders

Canvassers, peddlers and transient traders MUST bring a Medicine Hat Police Service criminal record check when they apply for a business license.

Applications for business licenses may be made at the Planning & Development Services department between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (Monday – Friday).

For more information about business licenses please call 403.529.8374 or 403.529.8135.

New Business Licenses Issued: