Flood resilience and recovery

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Related info

Basement water / seepage

Land Use Bylaw

Building a commercial space

 Slope stability management

Slideshow of past floods

River recreation safety

2013 flood

Some low-laying areas of Medicine Hat are historically prone to overland flooding, typically during June. On this page you will find information about flooding in Medicine Hat, your risks, and how to prepare for (and recover from) flood events. It is also to show the flood mitigation methods the City has undertaken and is currently working on.



  icon_PDFView map of flood hazard areas in Medicine Hat.

  Interactive flood hazard map (Alberta Environment and Parks)


Understanding flood maps





•  The flood hazard area is divided into floodway and flood fringe zones.
•  Generally comparable to the Flood Risk Area referred to in Medicine Hat's Land Use Bylaw.(LUB)


•  The portion of the flood hazard area where floods are deepest, fastest and most destructive.
•  Typically includes the main channel of a waterway and a portion of the adjacent overbank area. 
•  No development involving a building or other structure is allowed in a floodway within Medicine Hat (LUB).


•  The portion of the flood hazard area outside of the floodway.
•  Water in the flood fringe is generally shallower and flows more slowly than in the floodway.
•  Any development in the flood fringe within Medicine Hat must have flood proofing measures to the satisfaction of a Development Authority (LUB).


•  Part of the flood hazard area outside of the floodway, and are typically considered special areas of the flood fringe.
  icon_PDFCity areas at risk of flooding (flood extents without mitigation) 



In flood hazard mapping, some areas are indicated as being at risk for a 1-100 year flood. Flood mapping is used to illustrate risk in certain areas to allow municipalities and communities to plan for the possibility of flooding.

Frequently the meaning of 1-100 year flood is misinterpreted as meaning a flood will occur in the highlighted area only once every 100 years. 1-100 year is actually a statistical designation meaning that in any given year there is a 1% chance a flood risk area will flood. As the table below shows, the "100-year recurrence interval" means that a flood of that magnitude has a one percent chance of occurring in any given year. 

 flood probabilities

But, just because a 100-year flood happened last year doesn't mean that it won't happen this year, too. It may even happen more than once in the same year. In other words, future precipitation and floods don't depend on the precipitation and floods that happened in the past. The past records are mainly used to show what kind of river flows can be expected.

Flooding is a naturally occurring event in Medicine Hat. Floods can happen at any time of the year, although the period between May 15 and July 15 is when it is most likely. Historically, this is the period of highest widespread rainfalls in Alberta.

  View slideshow of past floods in Medicine Hat

  icon_PDFFlood terminology


_PB20111 {2013 flood}


When it comes to a flooding event, it's not just about how much rain falls on a region, but how much water the local soils are capable of absorbing, and how much the local waterways can effectively channel. If heavy rains follow a reasonable dry spell, the soils will have a large capacity to absorb that incoming water and creeks and rivers will have plenty of capacity as well. This will tend to limit the potential for flooding. If the soil is already saturated or nearly saturated, however, and waterways already swollen, the fresh influx of rainwater or snowmelt has nowhere to go except to flow over land and further swell creeks and rivers until they overflow their banks.

Medicine Hat is situated within the watershed known as the South Saskatchewan River Sub-basin. The Cypress Hills, which rise 600 meters above the surrounding land, are also within this watershed.

  Learn more about the region's watershed by visiting SEAWA.
  Learn more about Alberta's river basins.

Medicine Hat's location is between two high elevation areas: the Rocky Mountains to the far west and the Cypress Hills to the southeast. If these areas have a deep snowpack during the winter, and particularly if there is a rapid warming in spring combined with heavy spring rainfall, the result can be significantly swollen flow in the waterways. 

Some of these waterways flow directly to Medicine Hat. The Oldman River and the Bow River originate in the Rockies and converge 70 km west of Medicine Hat, becoming the South Saskatchewan River.

Both originating in the Cypress Hills, Bullshead Creek flows into Ross Creek, with Ross Creek then continuing through Medicine Hat, emptying into the river.

Seven Persons Creek originates from Murray Lake (which itself is partially supplied from the Cypress Hills) and meanders through Medicine Hat, also emptying into the South Saskatchewan.

Under certain conditions, the river and/or creeks can have dramatically increased flow, causing them to breach their banks and resulting in overland flooding in some low-elevation areas of the city.




At its most basic, flow is a measure of the amount of something travelling past a point in a given amount of time. In rivers, the flow of water is typically reported in cubic metres per second.

When flow increases in a river or creek, there’s nothing to constrain the water. This means increased flows can result in higher water levels, faster moving water, or a combination of both.

Most of the time a river or creek is large enough to contain its flow, and water stays inside its banks. But if flows are large enough, the water escapes the banks and starts flowing over normally dry land and through the floodplain.

Average flow rates of the South Saskatchewan River at Medicine Hat*:

•  August-April - 119 m3 per second
•  May and July - 324 m3 per second
•  June - 604 m3 per second

Highest recorded flow rates (over 4,000 m3 per second) occurred in June 11 1953, June 9 1995 and June 24 2013.

*Mean averages. Hydrometric data from Gov't of Canada Environment and Natural Resources, 1911-2016.


  See current data of Medicine Hat waterways.
  Search historic data of flow rates of South Saskatchewan River at Medicine Hat from 1911-2016.



Ice jams may cause overland flooding, typically in late winter or early spring. Pieces of floating ice carried with a creek’s current can accumulate at any obstruction to the creek flow. These ice jams can develop near river bends, mouths of tributaries, points where the river slope decreases, downstream of dams and upstream of bridges or obstructions. The water that is held back may cause flooding or flash flooding upstream. If the obstruction suddenly breaks then flash flooding may occur downstream.

In March 1951, the South Saskatchewan River broke through its banks and flooded fields when ice jams downstream began to raise water levels, threatening the city of Medicine Hat. After various attempts at bombing the ice jams by the Royal Canadian Air Force and the Royal Canadian Engineers, which only weakened the ice, nature ultimately provided the final push and broke up the jams.

  Learn more about the 1951 ice jam bombing.
  View slideshow of past floods in Medicine Hat.

There are many types of flooding that can impact people and property in Medicine Hat.

icon_flood_overlandOVERLAND FLOODING

Overland flooding happens when water overflows from the banks the river or creeks.

Depending on how severe the flooding is, water can creep up slowly or it can rapidly spread throughout the streets, parks and properties with little warning.

In winter, frozen catch basins, storm drains or piled snow, combined with quick thawing and/or rain, can also cause localized overland flooding of streets or properties.

In summer (although rare) sudden heavy rainfall events may temporarily surcharge the storm sewer system, causing localized overland flooding of streets or properties.

If you notice localized flooding due to a blocked storm drain or other circumstance, call:
Municipal Works 

icon_flood_seepageBASEMENT SEEPAGE

Basement seepage occurs when water is absorbed by the soil and raises the level of the underground water table. Water seeps through the soil and eventually reaches the building foundations.

The water works its way into basements through cracks and holes, or through joints in the foundation of homes or other buildings. Basement seepage can also happen in buildings near rivers, creeks or ponds because of elevated water levels due to either natural high-water levels or winter ice jams.

  For more info, visit Basement water/seepage.
icon_flood_sewerbackupSEWAGE BACKUP

Water on flooded streets or high groundwater may drain into the sanitary sewer system. This overloads the sanitary sewer pipes and can force sewage back through the sewer line and into basements.

If you are having a sewer backup, call:

Environmental Utilities
403.502.8042 (8am-4pm)
403.526.2828 (after hours)

  Blockages in sanitary sewers - Causes and what to do. Learn more >

  Isolation valves prevent sewage backup. For information on installing these valves, see below Ways to help protect your property.
icon_flood_stormSTORMWATER BACKUP

The City of Medicine Hat's stormwater system empties into the South Saskatchewan River through large pipes. When the river rises, or there is excessive rainfall, water can flow back into the stormwater pipe system and spill back onto streets through stormwater drains.

The City has installed storm gates in the outfalls that are within the flood fringe. The gates help prevent backup of river/creek flow into the stormwater system.


Floodwater is heavily polluted with viruses, bacteria and parasites. When furniture, textiles and building materials become wet with floodwater, they can pose serious health risks for homeowners. For more information about what steps to take when returning home and cleaning up after a flood, see below:

  Returning home safely after flooding
  Cleaning up after a flood.
  icon_PDFFlood water precautions


Failure to remove contaminated materials and reduce moisture after a flood can result in mold growth. Mold can cause serious long-term health risks for homeowners, such as respiratory disease and allergic reactions.
People with mold allergies or compromised immune systems are most at risk of potential illness. Additionally, mold can also cause damage to building materials long after a flood.

  icon_PDFMold remediation in homes

Additional health-related information

  More information about flood safety, preparedness and recovery resources (AHS)
  For information on clean-up, see below: Cleaning up after a flood.

If you have concerns about drinking water quality, contact:
City Water Utility  403.502.8042 (8am-4pm)
403.526.2828 (after hours)


Since the 2013 flood, the City of Medicine Hat has embarked on a committed effort towards various flood mitigation and resilience projects throughout the city, involving extensive community engagement. Projects include:

icon_PDFBerms, dykes and riverbank stabilization

icon_PDFStorm sewer back up protection

icon_PDFTemporary flood mitigation preparations

icon_PDFSanitary sewer lift station replacements

icon_PDFRiver Flats sink hole study

icon_PDFPersonal property flood protection

icon_PDFTrail rehabilitation


Once construction of all the planned Medicine Hat berms/dykes are completed, engineers expect that there will be significantly more protection from flooding (overland flow) within inhabited flood-prone areas in the city.

However, accurate projections of future flooding in Medicine Hat are infeasible due to mitigation measures which have been established upstream (e.g. Calgary, other communities) and other unforeseeable variables. The current design standard in Alberta is the one per cent flood (1:100). According to AEP, design flood levels (and therefore mapping) do not change as a result of development or obstruction of flows within the flood fringe.

  Learn more about flood hazard mapping. (AEP)
  View a complete and in-progress list of projects related to flood recovery and resilience, including berm projects in specific areas of the city. 
  Frequently asked questions  about flood mitigation.
  Learn more about water treatment and distribution in Medicine Hat.


Disaster can occur anywhere, at anytime. It is your responsibility to ensure you are prepared if a disaster occurs. Alberta Emergency Alerts are issued to assist you—providing you with critical information about an immediate disaster, where it is occurring and what action you need to take.

Alberta Government alerts are distributed to the public through various outlets including:

  Wireless Public Alerts
  Radio and Television
  RSS Feed
  Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
  Road Signage
  Alberta Emergency Alert App



The City of Medicine Hat's priority when planning for and responding to flooding is to protect its citizens, critical infrastructure, civic property, the environment and the economy. 

Emergency Management works continually with the Province of Alberta regarding environmental conditions to ensure that Medicine Hat residents are informed about any potential flooding that could occur in our area.

The City communicates critical information through:

•  City Newsroom
•  Local news media
•  Social media
•  Flood information hot line
•  Staff going door-to-door

The City strives to maintain all critical business functions and services to Medicine Hatters during any emergency or disaster, including flooding.

  icon_PDFView the Municipal Emergency Management Plan

Emergency Social Services (ESS) oversees the human component of emergency response. It is specifically responsible for securing the essential needs of evacuees and response workers during an emergency.

  icon_PDFView the Emergency Social Services Plan

_PB10579 {2013 flood} 


•  Notify/advise residents in areas likely to be affected

•  Re-direct traffic away from areas likely to be affected 

•  Install demountable floodwalls at access locations, including at berms/dykes (e.g. Altawana Ave, Strathcona Island Park)

•  Erect temporary flood protection measures (Barricage, Henso CART and Muscle Wall) at specific flood-prone areas 

•  Deploy sandbags around sanitary lift stations and other key City facilities

•  Provide supply of sand and sandbags for the public for pickup to help protect their properties, if feasible

•  Take other feasible measures to protect lives and property, as required

NOTE: The City does not typically protect individual private properties from flood risk. Property owners remain responsible for protecting their properties. See Ways to protect your property.


Make sure that you and your family are as prepared as possible in the event a flood occurs. Follow the steps below to ensure that you and your family have everything you need.

Create an emergency kit
Your 72-hour kit holds supplies to support you and your family for three days in an emergency situation. 

Create a flood plan
Make sure your family is prepared for up to 3 days with a flood plan.

Be flood ready
Floods are among the most frequent and costly natural disasters in Canada. Take steps to protect your property - learn more at Flood ready.

Get the latest alerts and notices - Visit the City Newsroom page.
Designate an out of town contact that each family member knows to contact in case you are separated. Ensure everyone knows this person's contact information. Set a safe meeting spot outside of your neighborhood that every family member knows to go to or contact if it's not safe to return home.


For more information:

  icon_PDFGuidelines for Floodproofing (City)

  icon_PDFFlood Preparedness Guide (Alberta)

  icon_PDFFloods - What To Do (Canada)

  icon_PDFHandbook for Reducing Basement Flooding (Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction)

  icon_PDFEmergency Preparedness Guide for People with Disabilities / Special Needs (Canada)




Temporary barriers such as sandbags can be used to help protect personal property. If a flood is imminent, the City will not bring sandbags to you, but may set up stations where you can pick up and fill sandbags yourself. Keep in mind:

  Bring your own shovels to fill sandbags.

  You will need a truck to transport the filled sandbags.

  It takes two strong people about one hour to fill and place 100 sandbags.

  100 sandbags are required to build a wall 30 cm (1 foot) high and six metres (20 feet) long.

  Temporary barriers only prevent overland flooding - they do not prevent groundwater seepage or sewer backup.

  It is recommended to place plastic sheeting around a building's foundation before placing the sandbags.

  Keep sandbags on your own property. Do not place them on neighbours' property without their consent. Do not place them on City property (e.g. roads, parks, etc.)

  You may also be able to purchase sandbag material from a local landscaping or home building supply company.

  If an evacuation order is issued, you are required to leave your property regardless of the use of temporary barriers.

  After the flood waters subside and evacuation orders have been lifted, remove and dispose of temporary barriers according the instructions provided by the City.



A backwater sanitary valve (or sanitary sewer isolation valve) is a type of check valve that is designed to only allow flow in one direction. It is recommended for homes and businesses which are prone to flooding and sewer backup. It must be installed by a licensed plumbing professional, and a permit is required.

  See video (YouTube)

Different backwater sanitary valves work in different ways, but in general, the type of device that is used in sanitary sewer scenarios works like this:

•  The valve is normally in an open position: the "gate" (or "flap") is open.

•  When a backflow condition occurs, floats under the gate lift up and start to block the backflow.

•  If the backflow condition increases, the gate closes against a gasket and creates a seal which does not allow water to pass in the backwards direction.

•  When the backflow condition ends, the gate falls back down due to gravity and returns to the open position to allow normal outflow of sewage from the home's plumbing system.

NOTE: The City residents financial assistance program for installing sanitary sewer isolation valves was available from August 29, 2013 to December 14, 2014 only.

If you have any questions about backwater sanitary valves, contact a City Safety Codes Officer at 403.529.8374.



For information about foundation waterproofing, weeping tile and sump pumps, visit Basement water/seepage.



For other causes of sewer backup and what can be done, visit General sanitary sewer information


flood insurance icon


Some insurance companies are now offering overland flood insurance to Albertans, even those who live in floodplains. Sewer backup insurance is available on most homeowner policies for a small premium. Talk to your insurance provider to fully understand your policy regarding flooding or water damage.

  Learn more about overland flood insurance in Alberta

The City of Medicine Hat does not offer recommendations about the type of insurance policy you purchase, nor does it endorse any insurance provider.

  For more information about basement flooding, visit Basement water/seepage.



The City of Medicine Hat will lift the evacuation order when it's safe for people to return home after a flood.

Emergency crews will go into evacuated areas to conduct a general assessment and determine which homes can be re-occupied and when.

The message that you can return to your home will be relayed through the City Newsroom, local news media, and through a flood information hot line.


  icon_PDFAlberta Health Services Guidelines

Consider contacting your insurance company right away. They will arrange for an adjuster to visit and assess the damage. The damage and cleanup may be more than you can handle. If you choose to make an insurance claim, your insurance company will arrange for professional restoration.  If you choose to enter your home, stay safe! Wear coveralls, rubber boots, gloves, and a protective face mask. 

Look for a notice
Check for notices from City of Medicine Hat Building Inspections depending on the current assessed status of your home.

Look for water in your basement
Check for water in your basement. You may need a sump pump or may require the services of a professional restoration service to remove the standing water.

Check if there is sewer backup
If sewage has backed up in the basement, contact:
Environmental Utilities  403.502.8042 (8am-4pm)
403.526.2828 (after hours)

Check if your electricity and natural gas are working
If you have no electricity and/or natural gas, contact the appropriate City utility department below.
City Electric Utility  403.529.8260 (8am-4pm)
City Gas Utility  403.529.8191 (8am-4pm)
403.526.2828 (after hours)

You can also use the City's Report-a-Problem online service.

When you reach your apartment or condo:
Contact your building manager or condominium management. They will be responsible for ensuring power and gas services and building inspections are made to ensure the building is safe.



For in-depth clean-up information and advice, consider calling a professional restoration or cleaning service.

To find professional help, do an internet search or look in the Yellow Pages for CleanersWater Removal, or Water Damage Restoration. Most services offer free estimates.

icon_PDFCleaning your house (AHS)

icon_PDFCleaning your yard (AHS)

icon_PDFMould remediation in homes (AHS)

  More information about flood safety, preparedness and recovery resources (AHS)


What to wear when cleaning

•  Wear coveralls, rubber boots, gloves, and a protective face mask (a respirator) to prevent inhalation of fine water droplets and dust.

•  Always wash your hands with soap and properly treated water before preparing or eating food, after toilet use, after flood clean-up activities, and after handling items contaminated with flood water.

STEP 1: Gather necessary cleaning supplies

You will need the following items:

•  Brooms / Dust pans
•  Mops / Buckets
•  Rubber gloves
•  Rags / Sponges / Brushes
•  Cleaning products / Disinfectants
•  Trash bags
•  Wet/dry Shop-Vac
•  Hose


STEP 2: Sort damaged items - Discard or repair/clean?

ALWAYS throw away these flood-exposed items:

•  Area rugs
•  Carpet underpads
•  Mattresses and box springs
•  Pillows
•  Cardboard and paper products
•  Books and magazines
•  Stuffed toys
•  Any other toys which you cannot fully sanitize
•  Wall coverings (drywall, plaster, wallboard)
•  Insulation
•  Medicines and medical supplies
•  Cosmetics and personal care products
•  Cooking utensils & food containers made of porous material such as plastic, rubber, silicon or wood.
•  Cracked dishes
•  Electrical appliances and equipment which has been submerged
•  Filters for furnaces or humidifiers
•  Household chemicals

Always throw away food. The only safe flood-exposed foods are those sealed in metal cans, and they are safe only if the cans have not been dented. Remove labels and clean and disinfect all undamaged cans. Re-label with a permanent marker. Throw away all food in jars or bottles.

To save legal documents and other valuable papers, see: icon_PDFCleaning the House After a Flood

Flood-exposed items you SHOULD throw away include:

•  Bedding
•  Clothing
•  Upholstered and particleboard furniture
•  Mouldings and baseboards
•  All floor coverings such as carpeting, vinyl, laminate and tile


STEP 3: Clean and sanitize one room at a time

Use a two-bucket approach: One bucket for cleaning solution and the other for rinse water.
Clean each room twice: Go over each room again with a disinfectant to kill germs.
You may also need to remove mildew. In case of heavy contamination, spray all surfaces with disinfectant.

Some ideas for cleaning and disinfection solutions:

Suitable cleaners:

•  Dishwashing liquid for lightly soiled items.
•  Laundry detergent for heavily soiled items.

Suitable disinfectants:

•  Household chlorine liquid bleach (5.25 per cent), 250 ml of bleach to 4.5 litres of water for disinfecting concrete.
•  15 ml of bleach to one litre of water for disinfecting wood and other materials.

NOTE: Do not mix bleach with other household chemical products, especially ammonia or toilet bowl cleaner. The chemical reaction may create a poisonous gas.

STEP 4: Dry out your home and remove mildew by lowering the humidity

•  Open doors and windows to air out your home
•  Open closets and cabinet doors
•  Circulate air with fans
•  Run a dehumidifier



For more information about how to dispose of any of the items above, see Waste and Recycling Collection Services.

To dispose of hazardous materials, such as paint, motor oil and other chemicals, see Waste Management Facility.

Raw sewage or other wastewater that includes soaps, detergents and hydrocarbons are prohibited materials and are not allowed on any portion of a street or discharged into the storm drainage collection system.

If you’ve completed or are considering any type of rebuilding, or construction at your property, ensure you know what permits are required, and have The City inspect the work for safety.


Structurally damaged homes

If your home was determined to have structural damage, you should hire a structural engineer to further assess the damages and to help determine your next steps.

If your structural engineer feels the damages can be repaired, a Building Permit will be required along with a structural engineer’s review.

  For information about slope failure on private land, visit Slope stability management.

Making changes to floor plan

If you are considering changing the floor plan of your basement, or developing a previously undeveloped basement, a Building Permit is required.

Recovering your basement

If your basement was finished prior to the flood, and you have an existing building permit in place for its development, a new building permit is not required (provided you are not changing the floor plan following the flood).

If you’re not sure if you have a building permit to develop your basement, call Planning & Development Services at 403.529.8374.

  For further information, visit Home renovations & finishing basements.



We recommend you work with a licensed general contractor to discuss the process involved in demolishing an existing home, and planning for the construction of a new home.

When you have settled on a house plan, schedule a pre-application meeting with Planning & Development Services before submitting your plans for approval. Call 403.529.8374.

  Visit New house construction to learn more about permit requirements.


There are guidelines for flood proofing which were adopted by the Municipal Planning Commission and adopted by Council on December 18th, 1995.

The Land Use Bylaw states that: "The Commission or the Development Officer shall require that a building in the flood fringe be flood proofed as a condition of issuing a development permit for the building".

The five approved flood-proofing methods are:

1.  Use fill to raise the elevation of the building above possible flood level. (Structural engineer involvement required)

2.  Raise the building on posts, piles or piers. (Structural engineer involvement required).

3.  Build a water tight basement. (Structural engineer involvement required).

4.  Build a berm or floodwall, the top of which is above the design flood level, around the building or buildings. (Structural engineer involvement required).

5.  Allow the foundation and basement to become flooded (wet flood proofing which equalizes water pressure on the foundation walls). In this case, the basement must not be developed. The mechanical (hot water heater, furnace and electrical panel) must be located on the main floor. The main floor level must be above the design flood level.

Each method has advantages and disadvantages in terms of effectiveness, cost and aesthetics.

Should option five be used, the design would have to satisfy requirements of the CMHC and Alberta Municipal Affairs. Each application must be reviewed by a City Safety Codes Officer.


To learn about disaster assistance, visit Disaster Resistance and Recovery Support (Alberta government).

If funding is being provided to you by the Disaster Recovery Program (DRP), the construction and material used for the restoration must comply with specific standards. You must also have a flood mitigation permit form available at the time of each inspection. See below:

  icon_PDFStandata Disaster Recovery Program Outlines the flood mitigation measures required for DRP funding for residences and small businesses irreparably damaged and located in the flood fringe. 

At registration table {2013 flood}


There are several support services to provide relief people in emergency situations, through the City of Medicine Hat, the Province of Alberta and community support groups.

PHONE 911 for medical emergencies or immediate danger!


Emergency Social Services - provides help to people affected by emergency situations in Medicine Hat, Redcliff and Cypress County.
Ph. 403.502.8712.

Canadian Red Cross - offers a network of programs and services that actively reach out and serve local communities. May also provide emergency food, clothing, accommodation and personal services for up to 72 hours to people following an assessment, who have been affected by local, small-scale disasters. Ph. 403.526.3048.

Salvation Army Family Support Centre (Facebook page) - provides assistance with basic needs such as food, shelter and clothing, in a caring environment. Ph. 402.526.9699.

Medicine Hat and District Food Bank - a facility where individuals or families in temporary need of food in our community have access to the support they need. Ph. 403.528.4313.

Health Link (AHS) Do you have a health concern for yourself or a child? Health Link offers quick and easy advice from a registered nurse 24/7. They will answer questions, assess symptoms and determine the best care for you. Ph. 811 (within Alberta.) Ph. 1.866.408.5465 (outside Alberta).

Community Mental Health Service - a place where you can talk to someone about difficulties you may be having in coping with a traumatic situation. Your counsellor will listen, discuss options, will help you choose goals and strategies, and make suggestions. Ph. 403.529.3500.

Alberta Supports offers access to more than 30 programs and 120 community services for seniors, homelessness, financial needs, families, people with disabilities and more. Ph. 1.877.644.9992 toll free.

Disaster Recovery Program (AEMA) provides disaster recovery funding for eligible recipients. Municipalities must apply for disaster recovery programs on behalf of their residents.


After the flood events of June 2013 which affected several southern Alberta communities, including Medicine Hat, the Alberta government established assistance programs. However, those programs have been discontinued.

  icon_PDFView June 2013 Southern Alberta Floods - One Year Report