Landscaping is the enhancement of an area for recreational use, aesthetic appearances, privacy, etc. Landscaping may consist of soft landscaping which is the planting of trees, shrubs, hedges, and grass, or other natural ground cover; or hard landscaping which is the decorative use of non-vegetative materials such as brick, stone, concrete, tile and wood. The use of monolithic concrete and asphalt shall not be considered to be hard landscaping. Many new developments must provide landscaping on the site; preparation of landscaping plans are needed as part of a development permit application.
Developments That Require Landscaping
With the exception of sites proposed for single-family detached or two-unit dwelling, sites proposed for development shall be landscaped to the satisfaction of the Municipal Planning Commission or the Development Officer, having regard to the following objectives:
- enhancement of aesthetics
- the separation of incompatible uses
- the creation of privacy
- the reduction of glare
- the reduction of noise
- the improvement of micro-climatic conditions
- the controlling of erosion and drifting of snow
- the enhancement of wildlife habitats
- the compatibility of landscaped areas with landscaped areas on the other sites in the area
- such other objectives as the Commission or the Development Officer considers advisable
Upon the request of the Development Officer or Municipal Planning Commission a landscape plan shall be submitted with the development permit application. The plan shall show all existing and proposed physical features, including berms, slopes, retaining walls, shrubs, and trees. All plant species must be identified, and in the case of trees, their height and caliper must be shown on the plan.
Call for free utility locates at least two working days in advance of the planned work.
- Electric and Gas (City of Medicine Hat) 1.800.242.3447
- Sewer and Water (City of Medicine Hat) 1.403.529.8176
- Shaw 1.866.DIG.SHAW (1.866.344.7429)
- Telus 1.800.242.3447
It is up to YOU to contact all other utilities