Information on this page relates to residential driveways or parking pads, for:
- New driveways, or
- Increasing the size of an existing driveway.
Having an extra-wide impermeable driveway may sound like a good idea if you want more parking or you just don’t like maintaining lawn. However, a very large driveway has negatives:
• You must apply for a Development Permit, which involves a fee
• Can lower your home's curb appeal
• Long-term maintenance and replacement can be expensive
• Increases run-off, which is less environmentally responsible
• Reduces street parking
• Multiple large driveways on a street can negatively affect the character of a neighbourhood
Consider alternatives like low-maintenance xeriscaping, mulch or permeable paving stone. There are many options that offer more decorative and eco-friendly solutions than concrete. For ideas, see:
For more information:
Drop by Planning & Development Services and we will be happy to help you. It is advisable to phone ahead if you would like to meet with someone to talk about obtaining approval.
We are open Monday-Friday 8:00 am-4:30 pm.
Planning & Development Services
2nd Floor, City Hall 580 1st Street SE
Medicine Hat, AB
General inquiries: email@example.com