The City of Medicine Hat website is undergoing maintenance between Oct 9-23. You may notice intermittent delays but content will continue to be updated regularly.

New house construction

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

This page is intended as a general guide to regulations and required permits necessary in the construction of a new house within Medicine Hat.

Important terms:

Dwelling a self-contained unit for the purpose of a household residence that may include food storage and preparation, sleeping and personal hygiene facilities. 

Single detached house: a building that contains one dwelling unit, and may include a secondary suite in districts where secondary suites are a permitted or discretionary use.

Duplex: a building which contains two dwelling units, separated either by a common party wall extending from foundation to roof and/or by a common ceiling/floor assembly, with each dwelling having its own separate entrance to the exterior.

What permits do I need?
Development permit vs. building permit
How to apply
Free utility locates
Getting inspections
Placement of a manufactured home
Other housing definitions