Plan ahead for a great start
2-3 weeks before you intend to open your home-based business, it is strongly recommended that you discuss your plans with staff at Planning & Development Services.
Before making a commitment to opening your home-based business, it is important to know if you will be allowed to operate your type of business in a home. Also, safety concerns must be addressed, and you must have a City business license. Skipping over steps or making assumptions could be costly and/or may delay the opening of your business.
Home Occupation: The use of a dwelling, garage or shed within Medicine Hat by the occupant of that dwelling for a business, trade or profession.
Mobile businesses (such as food trucks or food carts) are still required to have a base location, whether it be home-based or commercial-based.
Provincial License indicates a license issued by the Province of Alberta for a specific profession or occupation. In most cases, you must still have a business license from the City of Medicine Hat in order to conduct your business legally inside the corporate limits of Medicine Hat.
Understanding the steps below will help you get your business off to a great start; and remember, we are here to help!
Planning & Development Services
Second floor, City Hall
580 1st Street SE
Medicine Hat, AB T1A 8E6
If you close or sell your home-based business:
The rules for a Day Home (child care within a home) are different than those for a Day Care Facility.
• A Day Home must be located in a dwelling within Medicine Hat.
• "Day home" is only applicable for care of six or less children, including operator's own children who reside in the home.
• All children must be under 13 years old, or under 15 years old if the child has special needs (i.e. disability)
• Police information check is required. See Other business approvals.
• An inspection by Alberta Health Services is required. See Other business approvals.
• Provincial licensing is not required.
• City of Medicine Hat business license is not required.
• Development permit is not required in Medicine Hat.
• If the dwelling is rented or in a condominium, the operator is likely obligated to ask permission of the landlord or condominium association before opening a day home. Check your tenancy agreement and/or condo bylaws.