A business license will often have multiple license types associated with it. Many of these are not provided by Planning & Development Services at the City of Medicine Hat. Below is a listing of other agencies that can help you obtain these approvals, and the types of licenses or permits they issue.
Not sure what you need? Get help with your questions by contacting:
Planning & Development Services
2nd floor, Medicine Hat City Hall
580 1st Street SE
Day care facility
(Care for seven or more children)
Alberta Community and Social Services regulates child care licensing in the province of Alberta. A license is required under the Child Care Licensing Act to operate a child care program that provides care for seven or more children (there are exceptions - learn more).
To apply for a Day Care Facility license, contact:
Alberta Community and Social Services - child care providers licensing
Toll-free in Alberta: 310.0000
In Medicine Hat:
Southeast Alberta Child and Family Services Authority
#101, 346 - 3rd Street S.E.
Medicine Hat , Alberta T1A 0G7
Once you obtain your Day Care Facility License from the province of Alberta, a City of Medicine Hat business license is not required.
NOTE: As a commercial-based business, there are other permits required including development permit and building permit. Visit Commercial-based businesses.
Nursery School and Kindergarten are included in the definition of Day Care Facility, in Medicine Hat's Land Use Bylaw.
The rules for a Day Home are different than those for a Day Care Facility.
• A Day Home must be located in a dwelling within Medicine Hat.
• "Day home" is only applicable for care of six or less children, including operator's own children who reside in the home.
• All children must be under 13 years old, or under 15 years old if the child has special needs (i.e. disability)
• Police information check is required (see Police information checks, above).
• An inspection by Alberta Health Services is required (see Health inspections, above).
• Provincial licensing is not required.
• City of Medicine Hat business license is not required.
• Development permit is not required in Medicine Hat.
• If the dwelling is rented or in a condominium, the operator may be obligated to ask permission of the landlord or condominium association before opening a day home. Check your tenancy agreement and/or condo bylaws.