The Medicine Hat Public Library is a fully accessible facility.
The library fosters life-long learning and enhances community vitality by providing equitable and convenient access to books, media, information and programs that help to enrich, educate, entertain and inform.
414 First Street SE
Medicine Hat, AB
Available in the library parking lot, including two accessible parking stalls. Two hour on street parking is also available in the area.
- Entrance – is level with automatic double doors.
- Mobility - a wheelchair and a walker are available inside the entrance for use by library patrons . For your convenience, both devices have baskets or quilted sleeves to stow library materials and personal possessions.
- Elevator – provides access to both levels of the building
- Upper Level (insert diagram)
- Information and Membership - staff are there to assist.
- Children’s Services - provides a full range of services for children in an environment geared to their needs (with toys, seating area, play area, storytime, self checkout, computers, and more). There are 3 internet computers and 2 computers with games.
- Youth Services - located in Youthopia, this is a space designed by teens for teens. It includes the YA fiction collection, a listening station, a table for meetings and homework and comfortable seating.
- Check out - both self checkout and full service checkout of library materials is available. Full service checkouts have adjustable counters to serve library patrons at all heights.
- Accessible Washrooms – are equipped with automatic doors and wheelchair stalls.
- Lower Level ( insert diagram)
- Public Internet Computers - 16 are available for public use, 2 of these are on height adjustable tables. Two are standing height express computers for use by adults and teens. The public internet computers are located near the reference area of the lower level. WiFi Access - free, ask a staff member for the access code.
- Reference Services
- Theatre - available for rent at reasonable rates. Call Jerry at 403-502-8530 for more information and to book rooms
- Meeting Rooms - available for rent at reasonable rates. Call Jerry at 403-502-8530 for more information and to book rooms
- Homebound Services – links homebound users with volunteers to ensure all residents can access the collections either short or long term. For more information and/or to volunteer contact the Homebound Services Coordinator at 403-502-8541 or at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Volunteer Reader Service – volunteer readers go into extended care facilities and read to residents
- Deposit Collections – provided in nursing homes and long-term care homes within Medicine Hat (picture)
- Computers – Two public internet accessible computers have additional accessibility features including: height adjustable tables, large adjustable keyboards, large trackballs, larger screens with Zoomtext software, and interactive games. These computers are located in Children’s Services and Adult Services areas on the upper level.
- Clear View Magnifier – magnifies print material on a large screen.
- DAISY Readers – and DAISY books are unabridged audio books available to users with print and mobility disabilities.
- Large Print Books - are available on the upper level of the library
- Audio Books – are both abridged and unabridged recorded books on CD or tapes for people with print disabilities
- Descriptive Videos – include a secondary voiceover track that narrates descriptions of key visual elements to enrich the experience for people with visual disabilities.
- Speech Assisted Reading and Writing Computer (SARAW) - to assist people in developing their literacy skills.
- Reading Edge Machine – ‘This machine scans and "reads" written text aloud. Check out the video below to see how it works.