Show/Hide

COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

   For information and updates regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit medicinehat.ca/COVID19.

Carbon Monoxide

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The City of Medicine Hat is committed to the safety of our customers, the environment and our employees 

The “Silent Killer”
Often referred to as the silent killer, carbon monoxide (CO) is colorless, odorless, and toxic.

Carbon monoxide can be produced from a number of sources such as exhaust from a car or from a natural gas fired furnace that is not functioning properly or appropriately ventilated.

Exposure to the gas can cause serious illness or death. When properly installed, maintained and vented, any carbon monoxide produced by appliances will be vented outside the home.

Equipment and appliances not operating or vented properly can include:
  • Furnace
  • Hot Water Heater
  • Dryer
  • Range
  • Fireplace
Exhaust from the following can also contribute to carbon monoxide poisoning:
  • Gas and diesel vehicles
  • Gas powered machines
  • Wood burning fireplaces
What are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
  • Headache and dizziness
  • Fatigue and weakness
  • Watering and burning of the eyes
  • Loss of muscle control
  • Nausea and vomiting
How to prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning in your home:
  • Have your appliances or equipment checked regularly by a qualified technician as per the manufacturer’s specifications.
  • Install and regularly test your carbon monoxide alarm.
  • Ensure your outdoor exhaust/vent outlets and chimneys are kept clear of ice, snow, bird’s nests or other potential obstructions so that carbon monoxide emitted by these appliances do not build up in your home.