The City of Medicine Hat is committed to the safety of our customers, the environment and our employees
Children and Electrical Safety
Children are curious by nature, and sometimes it can be difficult to keep them away from things that they should not be playing with. Here are some tips to help keep children safe around electricity.
- Block access to electrical outlets with appropriately designed plugs
- Prevent children and pets from chewing on electrical cords
- Teach children to understand danger signs and the importance of never touching power lines or electrical equipment.
- Ensure that children do not climb power poles or trees that are near power lines.
- Make certain children never fly kites or model airplanes near power lines. If the kite or plane gets tangled in a power line, do not try to get it. Call us for assistance.
- Never enter a fenced-in substation area. If a ball is accidentally thrown in to a substation, call us for assistance.
For assistance retrieving items tangled in power lines or accidentally thrown into a substation area, contact us.
For more information on electrical safety, follow the link below
The City of Medicine Hat provides the information found on the above Public Safety pages for informational purposes only. The user or viewer of the information assumes all risk for the use of this site.