The City of Medicine Hat is committed to the safety of our customers, the environment and our employees
On any given day, it's likely that most people use several electrical appliances. With electric appliances being so common in modern homes, it's easy to forget that there are very real risks and hazards associated with their use. Take the time to brush up on the principles of safe operation - and make sure that everyone in your home is aware of them - in order to prevent unnecessary exposure to hazards and safety risks.
- Hire a qualified electrician to perform electrical work in your home.
- Install ground fault circuit interrupters where required. They sense electrical trouble and turn off your electricity before injury can occur.
- If a fuse blows, turn off all appliances and lights on the circuit before changing the fuse.
- Replace blown fuses with the correct rating. Do not use a coin or metal object.
- Do not overload electrical wall outlets.
- Do not remove or bypass the third prong (ground) on a plug. It is designed to divert electrical current in case of a short-circuit toward the earth where it will dissipate. Use an extension cord that is properly rated for the load and only use it temporarily.
- Do not use worn extension cords as they may cause shocks and fires.
- Water and electricity do not mix – ensure appliances, electrical cords, etc., do not get wet.
- Unplug appliances, power tools, etc., before moving, cleaning, repairing or when not using them.
- Ensure seasonal lighting is connected to a ground fault circuit interrupter.
- Not sure whether you have an underground electrical service? Contact us before you dig, trench or till on your property.
For more information on electrical safety, follow the link below
The City of Medicine Hat provides the information found on the above Public Safety pages for informational purposes only. The user or viewer of the information assumes all risk for the use of this site.