- Available to all City of Medicine Hat residential Electric and/or Natural Gas Utility customers one time only per residential address.
- For example, if you have already received an attic insulation rebate for your house, you are not eligible for an attic insulation rebate for your garage.
- An exception will be made if both the house and garage receive separate Utility statements.
- Rebates are processed on a first come, first served basis. Application Forms will no longer be accepted once program funding has been exhausted.
- Receipts (paid in full) and final evaluations must be dated between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017.
- Rebates for Do-It-Yourself projects are based on Applicant’s total cost before GST and includes insulation and vapour barrier only. Application submissions must include itemized receipts with quantity and type of insulation purchased.
- Deadline for applications is noon on the last business day before January 7 of the following year, provided funding is still available.
- This program is for existing residential properties only (any home built more than six months before upgrade of insulation).
- The Goods and Services Tax (GST) is not considered a part of the total project costs; therefore, HAT Smart rebates will be based on pre-tax amounts and will not exceed the amount of total project costs (before GST), regardless of the maximum listed rebate amount.
|1.||Complete a pre-retrofit evaluation prior to completing upgrades. The cost of this is $45 plus GST and is paid for by the Applicant.
|2.||Purchase and install attic insulation with receipts (paid in full) dated between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017. Work can be completed by the Applicant or a contractor.
Complete a post-retrofit evaluation to verify the work. HAT Smart pays for the post-retrofit evaluation.Evaluations must be completed by one of the following qualified service organizations:
Brian Stehr, Certified Master Inspector
|4.||Submit all of the Required Documentation listed in the following section.
|NEW: Combined funding received through HAT Smart and Energy Efficiency Alberta cannot exceed total project costs. Applications submitted after May 1, 2017 must include a claim summary email provided by your contractor if an application is also made to Energy Efficiency Alberta.
|5.||Pending approval, the rebate amount will be sent in the form of a cheque to the mailing address provided on the Application Form or credited to your utility account in the next billing period.
- In order to process your application, we require:
- Completed Application Form, including:
- File number from certified inspector
- Location of attic insulation (i.e. home or garage)
- Percentage of attic area covered
- Pre-retrofit and post-retrofit levels of insulation (to be completed and initialed by the certified home inspector)
- Copy of Home Inspection Report, if applicable, that clearly shows the date of the inspection and the insulation R-Value
- Completion dates of the pre-evaluation and post-evaluation
- Total amount (before GST) paid by Applicant
- Expected rebate amount
- Detailed receipts or invoices showing proof of payment
- Contractor: detailed invoice showing proof of payment and full business address
- Self-installed: itemized receipts with quantity and type of insulation purchased. Only receipts for insulation and polyethylene will be accepted for the rebate.
- Note: Applicant is responsible for listing and calculating receipt amounts for insulation.
- Completed Application Form, including:
Note: Incomplete applications can cause a delay in payment or no payment if program funds have been exhausted.
Note: All applications shall be subject to approval by HAT Smart. A completed Application Form is NOT a guarantee of eligibility for a rebate under the program, nor payment of the rebate itself. Rebates are based on fully completed Application Forms and issued on a first come, first served basis. An incomplete Application Form can result in a delay of payment or no payment if program funds have been exhausted.
|Attic Insulation - Minimum 20% of total Attic area|
All Ceiling Types
|Flat Roof / Cathedral Ceiling||
When the roof has more than one roof type (e.g., attic, cathedral, flat roof) – rebates will be pro-rated based on the ceiling area that is insulated.
Maximum rebate is $500.Add a minimum of R-10 to your uninsulated flat roof/ cathedral ceiling to qualify for $335.
|Min. R-40||Min. R-50||Min. R-28|
|R-12 and less||$||335||$||500||$||500|
|R-13 to R-25||$||165||$||250||$||165|
|R-26 to R-35||N/A||$||85||N/A|
|1.||I received the attic insulation rebate in a previous year. Can I apply for it again in 2017 for a different residential address?
|Yes, you can submit an Application Form provided an attic insulation rebate has not been issued for that location within the calendar year. Each rebate is tied to the location identification number of the residential address and tracked through a Service Order.
Note: If you have already received an attic insulation rebate for your house in this or a previous year, you are not eligible for an attic insulation rebate for your garage. An exception will be made if both the house and garage receive separate Utility statements.
||I am midway in my renovation and just found out that there is an insulation rebate. Am I too late to apply?
|No, but you need to momentarily stop the work and immediately call the Certified Home Inspector listed on our website to explain your situation. The Certified Home Inspector holds the final right to decide whether to allow your application to proceed or not. The assessment will be based on whether or not an initial and final R-value can be properly determined. Any photos or documents that you may have will be very helpful.
||I recently had a full inspection done on my home. Do I need to pay for an initial insulation inspection?
|No, provided your report clearly indicates the R-value of the attic. Find your report and contact the Home Inspector listed on our website to confirm that an initial inspection will not be required.
||I own a 4-plex that I rent out and would like to upgrade the insulation in all 4 attics. How do I go about applying for your rebate?
|You can use one Application Form. Kindly ask your tenants for their utility account numbers. Attach this list to the form. By upgrading the insulation, this is a win-win for all concerned - you get to improve your asset, claim the rebate and the renters get to lower their utility bill.
||My neighbours are currently living in Florida and want me to apply for the insulation grant on their behalf. Is that okay?
|Yes. If they have internet access, they can complete the form online. If not, have them send you something authorizing you to complete and submit the Application Form on their behalf. Submit the form (and all Required Documentation) along with authorization from the Applicant (home owner) for processing.
||I applied for and received a rebate for my present home which I have now decided to sell. Can I apply for another rebate for my next home?
|Yes. We track our rebates by residential address (via the utility account number) not by individual name.