Clothes dryers that have earned ENERGY STAR® certification deliver superior efficiency and performance by incorporating advanced features. On average, an ENERGY STAR® certified clothes dryer uses 20% less energy than a standard model.
- Rebate Amount
- How To Participate / Application Form
- Terms & Conditions / Eligibility
- Required Documentation
Back to Top
How To Participate / Application Form
The ENERGY STAR® Clothes Dryer Incentive Program (the Program) offers rebates to residential utility customers to purchase and install energy efficient clothes dryers in their homes. The rebate amount is awarded on a flat rate for all qualifying units.
To participate in the Program, follow the steps below:
- Determine your eligibility Before completing any work under the Program, please ensure that you read through the eligibility requirements and the Program Terms & Conditions. For instance, you must currently have an Electric or Natural Gas Utility account with the City of Medicine Hat to qualify.
- Purchase an ENERGY STAR® certified clothes dryer All ENERGY STAR® certified clothes dryers (electric and natural gas) including electric hybrid and heat pump dryers qualify for this incentive program.
Need help finding a qualifying model? Visit Natural Resources Canada’s website for more information:
Make sure you check on the status of remaining funds. Once funding becomes fully subscribed under this Program, applications will be declined.
Don't know how to submit your application? Visit the How To Apply page for more information.
- Cheque: mailed to the address provided on your application form within 6 to 8 weeks
- Credit: applied to your City of Medicine Hat Utility Account in the next billing period
- Direct Deposit: deposited directly into your bank account. Complete the form below and return it to the City of Medicine Hat's Accounts Payable department. How to submit is located on the bottom of the form.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Deadline for applications is noon on January 6, 2020, provided Program funding is still available.
Rebates are processed on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED basis. Late or incomplete applications and/or applications received after Program funding has been fully exhausted will be declined.
Back to Top
Terms & Conditions / Eligibility
To qualify for a rebate under the Program, applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- All City of Medicine Hat residential Electric and/or Natural Gas Utility customers are eligible to apply once per residential address during the Program duration.
- This incentive program is for existing residential properties. An existing home is any home built more than six months prior to installations, replacements, and/or upgrades.
- All ENERGY STAR® certified clothes dryers (electric and natural gas) including electric hybrid and heat pump dryers qualify for this incentive program. To qualify, the clothes dryer must appear on the list of ENERGY STAR® Certified Residential Clothes Dryers at the time of purchase.
- Invoices and receipts must be paid in full and dated between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019. The Goods and Services Tax (GST) is not considered a part of the total project costs; therefore, HAT Smart rebates will be based on pre-tax amounts and will not exceed the amount of total project costs (before GST), regardless of the maximum listed rebate amount.
Back to Top
In order to process your application, we require a completed application form and all of the following documentation:
- Detailed receipts or invoices (must show proof of payment for each receipt/invoice)
- Documentation and/or picture(s) showing ENERGY STAR® certification
Note: All applications shall be subject to approval by HAT Smart. A completed Application Form is NOT a guarantee of eligibility for a rebate under the program, nor payment of the rebate itself. Rebates are based on fully completed Application Forms and issued on a first come, first served basis. An incomplete Application Form can result in a delay of payment or no payment if program funds have been exhausted.
Back to TopFAQs
How do I recycle my old dryer?
Many small and large appliances can be recycled instead of going to the landfill. Use the City’s MyWaste app for more information on what goes where or call Environmental Utilities at 403.529.8176.
You are allowed one application per residential address during the program term.
I lost my receipt. Can I still apply for the rebate?
In order to process your application, we require a copy of the purchase receipt. Please contact your retailer to inquire about a reprint of your receipt.
I live in a condo. Can I apply for a rebate?
Yes, if you personally receive a utility bill from the City (i.e. have an active utility account in your name - your own gas or electric meter). If your utilities are paid for through your condo fees or by the condo association, you would not be eligible since the condo building itself would then be considered a commercial enterprise.
I live outside of Medicine Hat. Am I eligible for the HAT Smart rebates?
Yes, all City of Medicine Hat residential Electric Utility customers are eligible to apply. If you are currently receiving a residential electric or natural gas bill from the City of Medicine Hat, you are eligible to apply.
Am I guaranteed to receive funding if I submit an application?
All applications are subject to approval by HAT Smart. A completed application form is NOT a guarantee of eligibility for a rebate under the program, nor payment of the rebate itself. Rebates are based on fully completed application forms and issued on a first come, first served basis. An incomplete application form can result in a delay of payment or no payment if program funds have been exhausted.
Back to Top