The Scratch & Win program helps customers save on smaller energy efficient purchases. From switching to LED lightbulbs, to installing a programmable thermostat, small changes add up to big savings!
- Rebate Amount
- How To Participate / Application Form
- Terms & Conditions / Eligibility
- Required Documentation
Back to Top
How To Participate / Application Form
The Scratch & Win Program (the Program) offers rebates to residential utility customers to purchase and install smaller energy efficient and renewable energy items in their homes. Customers can win up to $100 back on the purchase of everyday items.
To participate in the Program, follow the steps below:
- Determine your eligibility Before completing any work under the Program, please ensure that you read through the eligibility requirements and the Program Terms & Conditions. For instance, you must currently have an Electric or Natural Gas Utility account with the City of Medicine Hat to qualify.
- Purchase a qualifying item Purchase a qualified energy conservation or renewable energy item. Eligible purchase items are listed on the application form, which can be found below. Purchases can be made from a retailer, wholesaler, or online.
- Bring the completed application form and all required documentation to the Customer Service Desk at City Hall Please ensure that you've attached all required documentation. Original documentation will not be returned to the Applicant by HAT Smart.
The maximum rebate amount is $100, including GST. Receipts can be greater than $100, but the Scratch & Win percentage value will be based on the $100 maximum.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Deadline for applications is noon on January 4, 2019, provided Program funding is still available.
Rebates are processed on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED basis. Late or incomplete applications and/or applications received after Program funding has been fully exhausted will be declined.
Back to Top
Terms & Conditions / Eligibility
To qualify for a rebate under the Program, applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- All City of Medicine Hat residential Electric and/or Natural Gas Utility customers are eligible to apply once per residential address during the Program duration.
- Eligible items must appear on the list of qualified energy conservation/renewable energy items that is included on the application form. Contact HAT Smart to get unlisted items approved. To qualify, the suggested item(s) must save electricity and/or natural gas. Purchases can be made from a retailer, wholesaler, or online.
- Scratch tickets are available in denominations of 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100%. There is an equal number of each of the five denominations in circulation. Ticket must be scratched within view of a Customer Service Representative at City Hall.
- The maximum allowable amount per scratch is $100, including GST. Receipts can be greater than $100, but the Scratch & Win percentage value will be calculated based on the $100 maximum.
- Invoices and receipts must be paid in full and dated between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018. The Goods and Services Tax (GST) is not considered a part of the total project costs; therefore, HAT Smart rebates will be based on pre-tax amounts and will not exceed the amount of total project costs (before GST), regardless of the maximum listed rebate amount.
- Purchases used for the HAT Smart Scratch & Win cannot be combined with any other HAT Smart incentive.
Back to Top
In order to process your application, we require a completed application form and all of the following documentation:
- Detailed receipts or invoices (must show proof of payment for each receipt / invoice)
Note: All applications shall be subject to approval by HAT Smart. A completed Application Form is NOT a guarantee of eligibility for a rebate under the program, nor payment of the rebate itself. Rebates are based on fully completed Application Forms and issued on a first come, first served basis. An incomplete Application Form can result in a delay of payment or no payment if program funds have been exhausted.
Back to TopFAQs
How many chances do I get to do a Scratch & Win?
You are allowed one application per residential address during the program duration.I have a receipt for items I purchased a while ago. Can I still use those receipts?
Yes, provided that the date on the receipt falls within the current calendar year.
Is it okay if my receipt is for more than $100?
Yes, but understand that receipts can be greater than $100, but the Scratch & Win percentage value will be calculated based on the $100 maximum. For instance, if the total value of your receipt is $200 and you select a scratch ticket with an 80% savings, you’ll get a rebate of $80.
I have an idea for an item not on the list. Would it be eligible?
Most likely, as long as it saves natural gas or electricity. We are always open to customer suggestions and new technology. Contact HAT Smart at 403.502.8799 to confirm eligibility.
Of the items on your list, what results in the best savings and shortest payback period?
Switching to light-emitting diode (LED) lights is an easy way to see quick results. Changing one bulb from an incandescent to a LED will result in an immediate savings of 80% on the energy needed for the light.
Should I focus on buying items that save natural gas or electricity?
Focus on saving electricity. With the current natural gas prices being low, it is more economical to invest your money in electricity efficiency improvements first.
Is anyone exempt from participating in the Scratch & Win rebate program?
City of Medicine Hat employees with the Customer Service Department are exempt from participating.
Any suggestions for getting the best advantage from this rebate?
Plan your purchases as close as possible to $100 to maximize your winnings - and bring along someone lucky to pull your Scratch & Win ticket!
I live in a condo. Can I apply for the Scratch & Win rebate?
Yes, if you personally receive a utility bill from the City (i.e. have an active utility account in your name - your own gas or electric meter). If your utilities are paid for through your condo fees or by the condo association, you would not be eligible since the condo building itself would then be considered a commercial enterprise.
I live outside of Medicine Hat. Am I eligible for the HAT Smart rebates?
Yes, all City of Medicine Hat residential Electric Utility customers are eligible to apply. If you are currently receiving a residential electric or natural gas bill from the City of Medicine Hat, you are eligible to apply.
Am I guaranteed to receive funding if I submit an application?
All applications are subject to approval by HAT Smart. A completed application form is NOT a guarantee of eligibility for a rebate under the program, nor payment of the rebate itself. Rebates are based on fully completed application forms and issued on a first come, first served basis. An incomplete application form can result in a delay of payment or no payment if program funds have been exhausted.
Back to Top