- Available to all City of Medicine Hat residential Electric and/or Natural Gas utility customers twice per calendar year.
- Scratch tickets are available in denominations of: 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100%. There is an equal number of each of the five denominations in circulation.
- The maximum allowable amount per scratch is $100 including GST (customer receipts can be greater than $100, but the Scratch & Win percentage value will be based on $100).
- The amount will be credited to your utility account in the next billing period.
- Receipts must be paid in full and dated between January 1 and December 31 during the year of application.
- Deadline for applications is noon on the last business day before January 7 of the following year.
- Ticket must be scratched within view of a Customer Service Representative at City Hall.
- Purchases used for the HAT Smart Scratch & Win cannot be combined with any other HAT Smart incentive.
- Purchase a qualified energy conservation or renewable energy item. Eligible purchase items are listed on the Application Form, which can be found below.
- Purchases can made from a retailer, wholesaler, or online
- Take the all of the Required Documentation to City Hall’s Customer Service Desk
- Choose a Scratch & Win ticket and scratch to received your rebate amount
- The amount will be credited to your utility account in the next billing period
- In order to process your application, we require:
- Completed Application Form, including:
- Identification of qualified energy conservation and/or renewable energy item(s) purchased
- Total amount (before GST) paid by Applicant
- Detailed receipts or invoices showing proof of payment
- Completed Application Form, including:
Note: Incomplete applications can cause a delay in payment or no payment if program funds have been exhausted.
- 20-100% to a maximum of $100
- Click here for the Scratch & Win Application Form (includes a list of eligible purchase items)
Note: All applications shall be subject to approval by HAT Smart. A completed Application Form is NOT a guarantee of eligibility for a rebate under the program, nor payment of the rebate itself. Rebates are based on fully completed Application Forms and issued on a first come, first served basis. An incomplete Application Form can result in a delay of payment or no payment if program funds have been exhausted.
||How many chances do I get to receive a Scratch & Win rebate?
|You are allowed two applications during the calendar year. However, if it is for a different residential property that you own, you can apply for the rebate again.
||I have receipts for items I purchased a while ago. Can I use those receipts?
|Yes, provided that the date on the receipts falls within the current calendar year.
|3.||Can I complete a Scratch & Win application if my receipt is more than $100?
|Yes, but understand that the maximum dollar value utilized in the rebate calculation is $100.
||I have an idea for an item that does not appear on the list of eligible purchase items. Could this item be eligible?
|Most likely, provided it saves on electricity or natural gas. We are always open to customer suggestions and new technology. Contact HAT Smart at 403.502.8799 to confirm eligibility.
||Of the items included on the list of eligible purchase items, which provide the best savings and shortest payback period?
|Switching to light-emitting diode (LED) lights is an easy way to see quick results. Changing one light bulb from an incandescent or halogen to a LED light will result in an immediate savings to 80% on the energy needed for the light.
||Should I focus on buying items that save on natural gas or electricity?
|We suggest you focus on reducing your electricity usage. With current natural gas prices so low, it is more economical to invest your money in electricity first.
||Is anyone exempt for participating in the Scratch & Win rebate?
|Yes. City of Medicine Hat employees with the Customer Service Department are exempt from participating.
||Are there any suggestions for making the most of the Scratch & Win rebate?
|Since you are allowed two applications during the calendar year, plan your purchases as close as possible to $100 each time to maximize your rebate – and bring someone lucky along to pull your Scratch &Win ticket.
||I live in a condo. Can I apply for the Scratch & Win rebate?
|Yes, if you receive an Electric and/or Natural Gas utility statement from the City (i.e. have an active utility account under your name). You are not eligible for the Scratch & Win rebate if your utilities are paid through your condo fees or by the condo association. In this case, the building itself would be considered a commercial enterprise and is not eligible for the residential rebate.