With many community members and business owners impacted by COVID-19, the City of Medicine Hat has determined preliminary measures for ratepayers who are experiencing unexpected challenges and uncertainty that may be affecting their ability to pay City of Medicine Hat utility bills.
Effective March 16, 2020
All residential, farm and small commercial customers can defer utility bill payments for 90 days (until June 18) without penalty and disconnection. Customers within this range don’t have to apply to enact this. For all other customers requiring the deferral, you are required to contact email@example.com or call 403.529.8113.
Effective June 19, 2020
The utility bill deferral program ends and normal collection processes resume.
Here are some options for customers:
- Pay your utility deferral in full if you are able to.
- Pay your utility deferral by credit card.
- Enter into a utility arrears repayment plan by spreading your payback up to 12 months. On this plan, customers would pay their current utility bill plus a portion of the deferred amount on each bill. Deferred plans will be set up through automatic withdrawal with the option of the monthly withdrawal dates being the 1st, 8th, 15th or 23rd.
- Customers that own their property can transfer their deferred amount to their tax roll with the $40 transfer fee waived.
- Work with the Collections Department to have referrals sent to:
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403.529.8113 to discuss options that are available to you.
If your account is on a pre-authorized payment plan and you wish to cancel these withdrawals please email email@example.com or call 403.529.8111. Payments can be paid online or via telephone banking until our office is notified to reinstate the pre-authorized withdrawals.
Unsure which name to search to add the City of Medicine Hat as a payee?
Please click here. (PDF)
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, they will need to contact our Collections Department to set up deferred payment arrangements by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 403.529.8113.
Please note: You will not be penalized during this 90 day period.