Residential Recycling Has Started
Blue Recycling Carts are being delivered. The City of Medicine hat, in partnership with Can Pak Environmental has started delivering blue recycling carts to all single family and smaller multi-family residences (fourplexes or less) which currently have a grey household waste cart. The delivery of approximately 23,000 blue recycling carts will be staggered across all solid waste collection zones through the city and may take up to 7 weeks to complete.
The staggered delivery method is being utilized to reduce risks, minimize costs and ensure thorough delivery. With multiple factors to consider, it is difficult to provide exact dates for delivery, however residents can expect weekly updates on the delivery progress through social media and on the City website.
- Blue recycling carts will be delivered with an information package attached. We encourage everyone to review the information package so they can understand how to use the cart, learn about the materials that are accepted and how to prepare them for recycling.
- All blue carts will be delivered to the front of your house and will be collected from the same set out location as your grey cart and yard waste cart.
- Once you receive your recycling cart, we invite you to start using it immediately. Please ensure all carts are set out before 7 a.m. with 3 feet clearance between each.
- Residential recycling collection will use the same type of cart and technology as the automated garbage and yard waste carts. Can Pak Environmental collectors will be emptying the carts with their automated collected trucks, and sorting the materials at the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF).
|Week 2 Delivery Update
Approximately 34% of blue recycling carts have been delivered across the city. Do not be concerned if your blue cart hasn’t arrived before the seven week roll-out period is complete or if your neighbours have received a cart, but you have not. We are eager to deliver your blue recycling cart in the next five weeks.
Residential Recycling Fee
Monthly charge is determined by multiplying the daily charge by 365 then dividing by 12. The average customer bill overlaps two months; individual bills will vary.
Residential Recycling FAQ's
Are you curious about the roll out or do you have a general inquiry regarding the Residential Recycling Program? Refer to the Residential Recycling FAQ's to get all your questions answered. If you do not see an answer to your question, please contact Environmental Utilities at 403.529.8176
Here are a few tips to remember as the blue recycling carts begin to roll out:
- Blue Carts are being delivered to all Medicine Hat residential locations (single family dwellings up to fourplexes) who currently have a grey cart for household garbage.
- When the blue recycling carts are delivered, they will be dropped off at the front of your home to ensure the cart serial number is registered to your address.
- As soon as you receive your blue recycling cart, you may begin to use it on your next collection day.
- Recycling carts will be collected by Can Pak Environmental from the same set out location as your grey and yard waste carts.
- Collection will be completed once a week, following the same zone calendar and map as with the grey and yard waste carts. Determine your collection day by referring to the Collection Schedule page under Waste and Recycling Collection Services on the website.
- Refer to the Recyclables Preparation "What Goes Where" guide to assist as you determine whether a material should go into your blue cart or taken to one of the bulk recycling drop off depots.
- No sorting required! Place your cardboard, mixed paper, newsprint, tin/aluminum and plastics numbered
1 - 7 in the cart. Be sure to put all plastic bags into one bag and loose papers into a cardboard box to reduce the chance of littering as the cart is tipped into the truck.
News Release Updates
- 23-May-18 - Monthly Residential Recycling Fee To Be Implemented (PDF)
- 08-May-18 - Residential Recycling Has Started (PDF)
- 04-Apr-18 - Residential Recycling Information Sessions (PDF)
- 21-Feb-18 - Curbside Recycling Program Preparations Underway (PDF)