Thank you to everyone for your enthusiastic response to Residential Recycling!
Please click on the links below for helpful information about using your blue recycling cart:
- Residential Recycling Collection
- Collection Schedule
- Did your cart get missed on collection day?
- Residential Recycling Fee explained
- Residential Recycling Guidelines Video
- Preparing Materials for your Blue Recycling Cart
- FAQs, Tips and Useful Links about Recycling
- News Releases and Delivery information (Winter and Spring, 2018)
- Residential Recycling, Yard Waste & Household Waste Collection Guide (PDF)
- Residential recycling collection uses the same type of cart and technology as the automated garbage and yard waste carts. Can Pak Environmental collectors will be emptying the carts with their automated collected trucks, and sorting the materials at the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF).
- Recycling carts are collected by Can Pak Environmental from the same set out location as your grey and yard waste carts.
- Collection will be completed once a week, following the same zone calendar and map as with the grey and yard waste carts. Determine your collection day by referring to the Collection Schedule page under Waste and Recycling Collection Services on the website.
- Ensure all carts are set out before 7 a.m. Collection occurs all day until it is completed*
- Make sure there is 3 feet clearance between each cart.
- If your cart is not full, you do not have to set it out.
- Check this page for detailed waste collection information
Residential Recycling Fee
The net increase to all three Solid Waste charges on your utility bill is $2.89 per month. Average monthly charges as of June 31, 2018 are $21.77 per month. Once residential Recycling is introduced, after July 1 2018, the rate will increase to $24.66 per month.
Monthly charge is determined by multiplying the daily charge by 365 then dividing by 12. The average customer bill overlaps two months; individual bills will vary.
Preparing materials to place into your blue recycling cart. No sorting required!
The Tips and FAQs below have been prepared to help answer common questions about recycling. If you do not see an answer to your question, please check the MyWaste App or contact Environmental Utilities at 403.529.8176
Refer to the Recyclables Preparation What Goes Where Guide to help you determine acceptable and unacceptable materials for the blue recycling cart, and determine where to bring other items, such as to a bulk recycling depot or to the City's Waste Management Facility.
Thank you for recycling. Recycling is one of the four universally accepted principles in the City’s long-term Waste Management Plan. We encourage everyone to follow the four accepted principles of reduce, reuse, recycle and recover.
- Recyclables Preparation - "What Goes Where" (PDF)
- Residential Recycling FAQs (PDF)
- Recycling Tips - quick, handy tips to help prepare your recyclable materials
- MyWaste What Goes Where - Search box and Web App
- Bulk Recycling Drop-off Depots
- Can Pak Environmental
- Can Pak Environmental - Please Recycle (PDF)
- 6-June-18 - Residential Blue Recycling Cart Delivery is Now Complete (PDF)
- 23-May-18 - Monthly Residential Recycling Fee To Be Implemented (PDF)
- 08-May-18 - Residential Recycling Has Started (PDF)
- 04-Apr-18 - Residential Recycling Information Sessions (PDF)
- 21-Feb-18 - Curbside Recycling Program Preparations Underway (PDF)
Delivery of Blue Recycling Carts
- Approximately 23,000 blue recycling carts were delivered to all Medicine Hat residential locations (single family dwellings up to fourplexes) who currently have a grey cart for household garbage.
- When the blue recycling carts were delivered, they were dropped off at the front of your home to ensure the cart serial number is registered to your address.
- If you believe you should have received a blue recycling cart but do not have one, please contact Environmental Utilities at 403.529.8176
- Blue recycling carts were delivered with an information package attached. Please review the information package and read the information on this page, to find out more about using your cart and to learn about the materials that are accepted and how to prepare them for recycling