Aging water and sanitary mains will be replaced to provide safe, reliable infrastructure
The City is completing water and sanitary main replacements in the area along Spencer Street with the initial phase of 2019 construction starting on Monday, May 27. This is a big project that will require some major detours and pathway closures. The work is being staged to minimize disruption to area occupants, with a project completion date anticipated for fall, 2019.
- The new water main replaces old infrastructure in this area
- Water main breaks along this street often cause temporary road closures and problems for residents and businesses
- Once completed everyone will benefit from safe, reliable infrastructure in place of the 100 year old pipes we will be removing
Residents are advised to take note of the following and plan accordingly:
- Pathway closures will be in place in the work areas to allow crews to access underground infrastructure
- Pedestrians are asked to respect the pathway closures for their safety until work is completed
- Pathway closure signs will be placed along the pathways accordingly, along with security fencing to restrict access near the construction areas
- Some minimal parking restrictions will be in place throughout the project adjacent to the work areas
- The City will advise the public when the next stage begins and post updates on this page showing future traffic accommodations (anticipated in July)
MAPS - Initial Stage starting May 27, 2019
- Pathway Closures - College Ave to Dunmore Road (PDF)
- Path Closure Sign Locations on South Railway St SE pathway (PDF)
Spectrum event and Canada Day parking
- Parking for these events will still be available in the gravel lot near Kin Coulee Park.
- Motorists and pedestrians are asked to respect and stay clear of all construction areas clearly marked with signs, fencing and barricades and to avoid pathway use beyond the pathway closure signs.
The City of Medicine Hat is committed to an infrastructure renewal program focused on replacing aging assets to ensure quality services to its customers. We thank everyone for your understanding during this important local project. Please drive safely around work crews.
For more information: