Outdoor Patios and Sidewalk Cafes

For a restaurant or bar to develop outdoor seating, various approvals are required to take into consideration any impact to the surrounding area and to ensure the safety and enjoyment of customers.

Outdoor Patio Types

  1. Outdoor patio is within a parking area on the same private parcel. A Development Permit is required.
  2. Outdoor patio adjoining a public sidewalk:
    1. Patio is on private sidewalk on private parcel within property line. A Development Permit is required.
    2. Patio is on a combination of private parcel and City public sidewalk. A Development Permit and Public Roads Bylaw approval are required.
  3. Sidewalk Café requiring redirection of pedestrians to a temporary sidewalk deck constructed in curb lane.
    1. Patio is on private parcel and City public sidewalk. A Development Permit and Public Roads Bylaw approval are required.
    2. Patio is entirely within City public sidewalk. Public Roads Bylaw is required.

Development Permit Public Roads Bylaw

Approval Process
Make a plan

A pre-application meeting with a Planning Officer can confirm property lines and the footprint of the proposed patio in relation to your parcel and the City sidewalk. They can advise what information besides a site plan will be required with the application.

Example Site Plan

Do your homework

Before submitting your application, it is recommended that you:

  • Contact neighbours who may be affected to identify any potential concerns
  • Confirm that your proposed service meets relevant Alberta Health liquor and food regulations
  • Confirm with AGLC that your proposed alcohol service meets regulations
Submit application

A building permit is required when your plans involve a platform, railing, or other construct.

Building Permits

These checklists may be helpful in your Sidewalk Café / Patio application process:

Approval process

A Planning Officer will initially review the drawings and circulate the drawings to Safety Codes Services and the Fire Department. If on a City sidewalk or boulevard, the application will be forwarded to Municipal Works for review under the Public Roads Bylaw who may contact you for additional information, if required.